Roll Offs - How do you make them work in the rain?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Roll Offs - How do you make them work in the rain?

Post by dirtyboy »

We are having a discussion about roll offs, WRT the new 2006 rules for HS and XC.

How do you make rolloffs work in the rain?

I've seen goggle lens with dimples so that the film doesn't stick, however they only come in single lens. IMO, in the rain double lens goggles are required to keep from fogging when the going gets tough (slow).

So how do you make them work with a double lens, or which manufacturer has a solution? :confused:

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

You loosen the film cartridge screws,string 2 runs of fishing line from one end to the other.This little trick was in a mag about 10 years ago-I"ve tried it and it works.The only problem is that you have to modify a double lens to fit the roll off cartridges.
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Very cool. I have double lens on my roll off system. Scotts makes them, I've been using them for a while now.

Thanks rooster.

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

I don't know about you guys but I have a real hard time with Tear offs in the wet too!
I have never used rolls, but I imagine they are the same. I cannot get good judgement or depth perception! :banghead:
As soon as the water gets under them, as it would with rolls too, I find it so hard to judge corners, trees etc. I hit so many trees at Riveires..........It hurts!!! :cripple:
I just threw them off.
It might be my skills..... Cause my eyes test perfect??
Any hints, Oh dirt biking Gods?
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

It also helps to tape an old lens to the visor and tape the visor ducts closed to keep water and roost from your front tire,trees and guys in front of you to a minimum!-even then when you get going too slow and you fog you may have to take them off and resort to no goggles or glasses :excuse:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Buggo, I feel for you man. I didn't use tear offs or roll offs at Rivieres and I still ran into a lot of trees, fences, brush, and anything else within 40 feet of the trail. :cripple: I don't think x-ray goggles would have helped my sorry a@@ out in that race.

What roll off system are people using? I like the looks of the new Scott Works system that you can remove in minutes.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm a Scotts guy. I have the SVS which is the old Scotts Vision System or roll off system. The canisters attach with 2 screws. I don't think anything is compatible between the SVS and Works systems.

I'll be getting a works system this year, I think. Unless a better system makes it's self available.

Fishing line, gotta rember that. :thumbsup:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

roll offs

Post by DirtGirl »

I seem to recall from many many years ago some of the Brooks guys would make an extra "visor" out of duct tape for the sides of the canitsers, covering the corners so no rain can get under the film. Maybe French can recall what they were doing. :crazy:
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

There is also a strip called a mudflap that sticks to the lens above the film to keep water from running down under the film

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The mudflap comes with the system. I've got that installed on my double lens.