Suspension Boots??

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I've used both. Never had a problem with boots. Never even took them off and the forks seals never leaked after 2yrs of use. They do get shredded on your rotor if you don't fashion some sort of guard( I didn't and I still didn't get leaky seals). I'm using seal savers right now, and after a season, still no problems. So maybe it's a toss up. Seal savers might be easier to install, and if you buy the long ones, you could probably make 3 sets out of them

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Do the long ones work for the inner tubes?? For some stupid reason it looks like they have "long" ones to protect the outer tube on inverted forks.. I was wondering what the hell they were doing! (unless its the non-inverted type and I didn't catch it)

The only way I can see those working as well is if they are completely waterproof and have zip ties at both ends (over top of the inner tubes like the rubber ones).

So can anybody verifty that they are completely waterproof and long enough to go over the entire inner tube on inverted forks?

Maybe these are different then from the mountain bike ones, but those were more of a wetsuit type material, that weren't waterproof to the best of my knowledge. I may be mistaken..
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

I have the accordian type boots that cover the full stanchions. They work quite well. However, they are not completely waterproof due to vent holes which allow air to escape when the fork is compressed. My bro has the neoprene's on his Ktm and they work well to. Just really need something to keep the dirt away from your seals. Pretty sure A&E stock both.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Hum, good point. Something I never thought of!

Consider going into a deep puddle or river crossing, compressing your boot, and then when it rebounds it takes in water! haha.

I still would think the rubber ones are better just because nobody has verified of the sleeve type ones are completely waterproof (like wont absorb water through the material) If they are, maybe they are the way to go? Easy of install and approx the same cost.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I run the seal savers under the boots on my forks and I also used a hole punch to punch a few holes around the top of the boots because water isn't the poblem but if you seal them completely they will turn into a huge balloon whenever the suspension compresses. You guys are over thinking the sludge out of something that has been proven on my bike and several others for the last ten years. The water isn't the problem but the sticky bentonite mud in our beloved mountains sticks and turns to a weak concrete on a hot set of forks, therby tearing up the seal and getting the oil full of silt. The boots are to keep the mud from getting onto the lower fork leg to begin with. WR Dave :crazy:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'd suggest punching the holes in the bottom of the boots so that the air can escape and the water will run out. The old forks were done that way and if you buy the fork boots they usually have the holes on the wrong end for the upside down forks. The holes are in the wide end because that's the bottom of the regular forks.

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Shibby! wrote:Hum, good point. Something I never thought of!

Consider going into a deep puddle or river crossing, compressing your boot, and then when it rebounds it takes in water! haha.

I still would think the rubber ones are better just because nobody has verified of the sleeve type ones are completely waterproof (like wont absorb water through the material) If they are, maybe they are the way to go? Easy of install and approx the same cost.
Yes the KTM ones are like a wetsuit neoprene and they are zip-tied on at both ends. They are completely water proof and dust proof. I used to take them off after every four rides but gave that up and now all I do is inspect them for tears. And if last season wasn't a test for mud and water seepage I don't know what is. They even stood up to combined hours of continuous pressure washing! I got a complete season out of my last set before I got a small tear. That is way cheaper than a set of seals. One thing you will want to do with the seal savers is zip-tie some tubing to the upper fork to prevent the fork guard from rubbing on the seal saver. Their is a sticky post on KTM talk that has pictures of this.

Anybody wanting a full length boot that can be cut into 2 shorter versions just like seal savers can have my torn one. It would still be good for 2 - 6" sections.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Dobi wrote:

Yes the KTM ones are like a wetsuit neoprene and they are zip-tied on at both ends. They are completely water proof and dust proof. I used to take them off after every four rides but gave that up and now all I do is inspect them for tears. And if last season wasn't a test for mud and water seepage I don't know what is. They even stood up to combined hours of continuous pressure washing! I got a complete season out of my last set before I got a small tear. That is way cheaper than a set of seals. One thing you will want to do with the seal savers is zip-tie some tubing to the upper fork to prevent the fork guard from rubbing on the seal saver. Their is a sticky post on KTM talk that has pictures of this.

Anybody wanting a full length boot that can be cut into 2 shorter versions just like seal savers can have my torn one. It would still be good for 2 - 6" sections.
last time I checked Neoprene is NOT waterproof. In fact grain size in the #200 seive size will migrate through the pores in neoprene. Thats why they have to be taken off and cleaned every once in awhile

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Hey DB , I forgot mention that the hole punching procedure was for the boots being held in the traditional uprght position(before boot installation). The holes need to be punched in the top as well to prevent a vacuum effect and you don't need to punch holes in the bottom because the boots I used(Pro-Grip) already had the holes at that end. Like you said, the boots go on upside down on an inverted fork. It's been working for me without any problems. WR Dave

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

MtnBlue wrote:
Dobi wrote:

last time I checked Neoprene is NOT waterproof. In fact grain size in the #200 seive size will migrate through the pores in neoprene. Thats why they have to be taken off and cleaned every once in awhile

Ahh sludge. I thought I had my decision made and you HAD to mess it up! I like the fact that you don't have to put a guard on them for the rotor, but it would be so much better if they were completely waterproof.

Considering you still have to put holes on the rubber ones maybe it still a better choice, but still not the perfect one thats for sure.

Is there anywhere I can buy these (neoprene) in the city rather then getting them shipped from Brooks? Also, what is the standard length for the long ones. From the talk I assume they cover the entire inner fork with room to zip tie top and bottom.

Thanks for the help guys!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

You can buy the Acerbis brand neoprene boots at any bike shop but I think they are more pricy than the KTM ones. The guys with the rubber boots never seem to get a seal leak and the rubber is harder to tear than the neoprene.

At my work we call this analysis paralysis. :devil:

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

My bro and dad are running the pro grips and both need seals now. My bike had Pro Grips since new and also has blown seals in 10 months. Pretty sure dirt travels in water does it not??? Must have gone in through the holes with it. Knowing how to do seals isn't bad. they're only 40$. I do believe protection helps. this is just my experience with them. 3 bikes all blowing seals within one year, with boots. :blah: Ah well. It was all in fun.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Pretty sure dirt travels in water does it not??? Must have gone in through the holes with it.
Not the water I ride in at Bar C , it's always clean and clear. I see that I have been wrong about the boots all along and I'm going to the garage to rip them off right now so I can get my seals to leak too. Oh yeah I still service my forks every year and I bleed off excess air pressure while out riding. I'm just trying to stay smarter than the seals. :bonk: :banghead:

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

Fill Yer boots!

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

With what? Clean water or that dirty stuff I keep hearing about? :banana: :D