Suspension Boots??

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Bushpilot
User
User

Post by Bushpilot »

W.F.O wrote:My bro and dad are running the pro grips and both need seals now. My bike had Pro Grips since new and also has blown seals in 10 months. Pretty sure dirt travels in water does it not??? Must have gone in through the holes with it. Knowing how to do seals isn't bad. they're only 40$. I do believe protection helps. this is just my experience with them. 3 bikes all blowing seals within one year, with boots. :blah: Ah well. It was all in fun.
Considering the coincidence....I'd be looking past the simple theory of contamination.

If you strap the bikes down regularly, say in your truck or to a trailer, there’s a chance that you've been over tightening the straps. I can understand the anxiety of losing such precious cargo whilst cruising down the highway. But all the pent up pressure within the fork cartridge is a factor in the fork seals life.
There are products out there used to block up forks during transportation...
But a 4"x 4" block of wood cut to length works great too.

I believe in using fork boots and have them installed on both of my off road bikes.
But their intended use isn't that of a zip-lok bag but as more of a mud guard-keeping the majority of buildup off of the functioning surface of the shaft.

And h.ell-they are color coordinated and therefore spiffy :p
87' Can Am 250ASE
00' Honda XR650R

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I've done some calling around.

A&E has them in stock (long neoprene ones) and Blackfoot can order them. Both places have them valued around $45.

Everybody seems to have the rubber ones and are valued at $20-35 with most in stock.

Both kinds come in multiple colours.

I am kinda wiery about placing them on order from blackfoot (considering I might get them next fall!) so I may get them shipped from A&E.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Shibby! wrote:I've done some calling around.

A&E has them in stock (long neoprene ones) and Blackfoot can order them. Both places have them valued around $45.

Everybody seems to have the rubber ones and are valued at $20-35 with most in stock.

Both kinds come in multiple colours.

I am kinda wiery about placing them on order from blackfoot (considering I might get them next fall!) so I may get them shipped from A&E.
You can't go wrong with A & E.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

fork boots

Post by thumper-darryl »

The way I see it a dealer is a place that carries the common parts & accessories you need for your brand of scooter. Why in the H*** would anybody buy where they have to order EVERYTHING. Phone A&E , they throw it on a bus, and you have it the next day. Easy
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

I hear you 5 by 5 Bush. I agree with you on locking out the suspension when transporting the bikes . Better for the susp, and you can reef down pretty well. For those Baja style moments! We've used blocks for a couple years. I'm pretty sure it's possibly air pressure build up or the dirt that I found in my boots last time I did the seals. Maybe bad luck or too much mud boggin'. Spearing branches through them probably doesn't help keep dirt out either. Oopps!!!
Whiskey Foxtrot Oscar

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Even with the booties your seals will get dirty, then leak. The bootie just creates another place for dirt to get trapped. Plus, your fork oil should be replaced and fork seals cleaned every 3-6 months (depending on how much you ride). I take my forks to Pro-Action for a service 3 times a year. It seams that as soon as the seals start to leak, it is also the right time to change the oil and bushings. Fresh forks are so important. The last time Pro Action replaced my seals they lasted 6 months.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Well, I bought a pair of neoprene boots from A&E in Brooks. I must admit, thank you for recommending them because the service was great!! Now if only I could get the same service out of Grayhound when picking up the parcel....

Either way, two thumbs up for A&E

For the boots, after seeing how simple they are, I could have made them myself (I have no sewing skill what-so-ever), but you KTM owners will be happy there is a little KTM symbol on my Suzuki now.

=) Gotta pick on somebody.. Either way after these wear out I will make my own and compare!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Shibby! wrote:Well, I bought a pair of neoprene boots from A&E in Brooks. I must admit, thank you for recommending them because the service was great!! Now if only I could get the same service out of Grayhound when picking up the parcel....

For the boots, after seeing how simple they are, I could have made them myself (I have no sewing skill what-so-ever), but you KTM owners will be happy there is a little KTM symbol on my Suzuki now.

=) Gotta pick on somebody.. Either way after these wear out I will make my own and compare!
For an extra couple of bucks Greyhound will deliver to your office door in Calgary. Not sure about the residential delivery as I have never tried that.

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

hey guys being new to the site where is A&E and is there a website?
:confused: :confused:
Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

They are in Brooks and about the best KTM dealer around, plus they contirbute to the local racing scene big time.
http://www.aeracing.com/main4.htm
Claude

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Dobi wrote:
Shibby! wrote:Well, I bought a pair of neoprene boots from A&E in Brooks. I must admit, thank you for recommending them because the service was great!! Now if only I could get the same service out of Grayhound when picking up the parcel....

For an extra couple of bucks Greyhound will deliver to your office door in Calgary. Not sure about the residential delivery as I have never tried that.
I wondered why you seen grayhound vans around like that. Next time I will definitly do that. I waited for probably 30-45 minutes to pick this up as the people working were "doing the dog" very well. The whole line (which was quite extensive) was not looking happy.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

You should have seen the line around Christmas at around 8PM. 2 hours for sure.

The line up is usually very small if you go before 8AM. Also make sure you get A&E to prepay the shipping, it's 1/2 the price that way.

:cheers:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

dirtyboy wrote:You should have seen the line around Christmas at around 8PM. 2 hours for sure.

The line up is usually very small if you go before 8AM. Also make sure you get A&E to prepay the shipping, it's 1/2 the price that way.

:cheers:
Yup, and they even told me that! They said for 10 bucks or something they could overnight it, which was cool with me, as this way I know I will get it rather then paying 10 bucks less and wondering if and when it will come in from Blackfoot!

Yea, I thought going right before they closed (at 8 pm) would be a breeze. I basically sat there for 25 minutes without the line even moving, and its not like there was many people, its just they were sooo slow at doing it. Then once I got to the front of the line some fat ***** came out from the back yawning and what not looking like he just had a nap.. You could tell people were not happy as neither was I.

To tell you the truth, for Grayhound pick-ups I have never been served as fast as it should of been. Its not even fast, its just normal speed, these guys work like they aren't getting paid.

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

I used the Seal Savers on my 520. Put them on right after I had new fork seals put in. They didn't work well for me because as soon as the seals leaked a little the Seal Savers soaked up the oil and then the dirt got trapped in there. Took them off & left them off.
Now if they made them so you could take them off easily (without taking the forks off) then you could clean the neoprene and put them back on regularly...

I may just try the rubber boots next time. I just had my forks worked on and 2 rides later I have a leaky seal. (my trailer secures the bike without any pressure on the forks & I bleed the air after a ride)

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Kwi-Chang wrote:I used the Seal Savers on my 520. Put them on right after I had new fork seals put in. They didn't work well for me because as soon as the seals leaked a little the Seal Savers soaked up the oil and then the dirt got trapped in there. Took them off & left them off.
Now if they made them so you could take them off easily (without taking the forks off) then you could clean the neoprene and put them back on regularly...

I may just try the rubber boots next time. I just had my forks worked on and 2 rides later I have a leaky seal. (my trailer secures the bike without any pressure on the forks & I bleed the air after a ride)
Yup, its the dirt out here and the riding we do. Often going through dirty water/mud that gets on the inner tubes. Let that dry and its like cement. Have you actually tried to get it off with your hands? Imagine what it does when your dust caps and fork seals come slamming down on it.

That is what I am trying to prevent. I know its going to be a pain in the *** to clean them but oh well. I know I would be swearing either way and this way at least it hopefully won't cost me more money (for seals and dust caps)