Winter Tires?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Winter Tires?

Post by Dakota_c69 »

So with these Trelborgs(sp?), can one ride all year round as long as it i s not cold enough to freeze you on to the handlebars? How much snow would be too much snow..?

Just curious... :blah:

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Glenn,

The tires are great for getting around in the snow and ice. Especially the ice. More than 2 feet of snow is tough to ride in. Mostly the ridges where we ride are pretty wind swept so it's generally pretty good.

As for the cold, I think it's good to -15 and I'm not a die hard. We buy those handlebar muffs like the ATV guys and bike messengers use. They fit on the handlebar and then you put your hand inside the muff to grab the bars and controls. Your hands stay very warm in them.

Some guys use heated grips.

All in all, it is the cleanest mud that you will ever ride in. Good practice for next year. :D

:cheers:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Already have the heated grips... But those tires look pretty pricey...! Is snow softer to crash in?!?!? :devil:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

At the end of the day the winter tires are expensive....however they will last longer than your summer tires do, so it works out about the same in $$/ride kind of deal. This extends your riding season and winter riding is a blast....especially when the ski conditions are medeocre. Is the snow softer to crash in?...it really depends, the ground is frozen!!!