KTM 50 Clutch

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

KTM 50 Clutch

Post by actionsports »

Hey guys,

Have any of you had experience with the R & D Dominator clutch for a 50 Sr? Is it worth the $450?

Thanks,

Shawn

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: KTM 50 Clutch

Post by steve-o »

actionsports wrote:Hey guys,

Have any of you had experience with the R & D Dominator clutch for a 50 Sr? Is it worth the $450?

Thanks,

Shawn
You should pm trailguy and ask him about 50cc clutches. I think he's got them dialed!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

For the stock clutch I have a good set up, but I haven't tried the Dominator.

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

Do tell! I know you have to replace the washers often, and there are different washer configurations... Any tips. I am about to throw this thing in the bush and buy a little 4 stroke for my kid(s). I am very tempted by the idea of an idiot proof clutch on these little rippers. But, $450 is a bit of cake, especially when the bike's only worth $1500!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I don't have the clutch stack config with me but I will try & post it tonight.In the mean time here's a couple of tips.Unfortunatly KTM doesn't make these motors & the metalurgy is boarder line 3rd world quality.However when set up right these bikes are rockets, they are 3 times the race bike any full size bikes are.I like to compare these SX 50's to being a factory mechanic back in the 1970's & you get a full on works bike from the factory - the bike is light, a rocket & has amazing potentail but you have to figure out how to make it run right & not blow up.
Clutch: Take it apart & make sure the sleeves that the clutch washers slide over have no little grooves, if so replace them.With the washers out of the clutch shoes get to a good gram scale,find the clutch shoe that weighs the lightest & note that weight.Take a dremel or drill bit to the other two & make all three weigh exactly the same.[just take some material off the shoe body]. You want your clutch stack height between .630"- .635" pick a number in that range, then make sure all three stacks are within .002", this can take a bit fooling around with the flat washers in the stack.Run Maxima MTL 75 wt. tranny oil with "twocool" additive,this stuff really helps the clutch live longer.Do NOT go by the manuals 150 ml for the tranny, thats wrong,run 225 ml.I'm running stock KTM steel clutch washers.
Heat is a major issue on these little rockets with external cylinder temps @ 225 degrees F.If you can afford it run race gas cut 50/50 with Shell Gold.At the very minimum run Shell Gold with Lucas oil octane booster [This is what I've run the last three years] Run a good 2T oil mixed at the Oil manufacters suggested ratio.[I'm running Opti 2 @ 80:1].
Coolant:If you are just motoing you can maybe get by with Engine Ice,Water Wetter, etc,but if you are trail riding all of that stuff is completetly useless.As you know the coolant system is open with a zero pressure rad cap,so in deep sand, mud, any decent hillclimb has the complete system on the ground right now.These don't boil over like a big bike where you may only lose a little coolant,when they blow its the entire system on the ground.So after trying everything, even straight water with Water Wetter nothing worked until I tried Evans Coolant.This is a Military Aviation spec product designed for open coolant systems, the stuff boils @ 382 degrees F.Since running Evans in his bike it hasn't lost a drop in two years.I was getting tired of dumping my camelback into his rad & still having to limp out of the bush with no coolant in the rad.
Good luck & try & stick with it, the power, light weight, suspension, brakes & handling are worlds better than a play bike. :cheers:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Trailguy, where do you get the Evans Coolant around Calgary?
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I don't know of anyone selling it in Calgary.I get it from Columbia Cycle in Invermere.250 342-6164.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

What type of evans do you use? The NPG+ or the NPG-R??

http://www.evanscooling.com/coolants/
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Evans has some new coolant products.I don't have access to the bottle right now but its the original Evans coolant & the same product Ty Davis, Zip Ty Racing re brands & sells.I believe Columbia Cycle only stocks the one type.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Hendrix - NPG+.
Actionsports - I'm running this stack config (())(())(())()||. Like I said earlier try & get all three stacks within .002" playing around with the flat washers.Let me know how this works out for you & I can give you some tips on how to make these rockets more reliable if you decide to keep it.Good luck.

Stewy84

Post by Stewy84 »

Been running this bike in harescrambles and trail riding for two years with no real issues. Clutch maintanance is a must changing the oil after every ride and pulling it out to change out washers. Evans coolant is the best for these bikes. Everything you need to know in the link below.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

OK, I'll try taking the clutch apart. I have washers, but havn't taken the shoes apart myself. Any tricks? Do I need a clutch puller?

Thanks.

Shawn

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Yes you need a clutch puller to get the clutch hub off the crank.

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

trailguy, you rock! Tried the washer configuration and YES! Much better. I replaced the shoes, sleeves, and put new washers in and wow! So, thanks! On another note, I have sprung a serious leak around the countershaft sprocket. Is that difficult to replace? I ordered the seal and hopefully it will pop right in. Again, silly question, but is there a trick to removing anything on the water pump side? Cheers! I owe beer for sure!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Glad to hear Shawn.
Counter shaft leak:Check the shaft for up & down movement to make sure the bearing isn't shot,if it is you will have to split the cases.If its just the seal it should be easy,get a hooked pick & pull the seal out.Grease the inner lip of the new seal & carefully install the new seal,you may be able to use something like a deep socket to tap the seal squarely into the case.
Not sure what your asking as far as water pump go's.Its all sealed inside the ignition cover, so you don't need to drain coolant if you want to pull the ignition cover off.When replacing the ignition cover, make sure the slot on the water pump shaft lines up with the slot on the end of the crank. If these aren't lined up the cover will not seal against the center case.