KTM 50 Clutch

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Re: KTM 50 Clutch

Post by actionsports »

Again, thanks Trailguy. I'll post once I get the part and see how far I can stretch the limits of my mechanical abilities! These little bikes are, like you said, pretty advanced little rockets. It just seems like there is always something ready to blow apart. I was in Blackfoot today and I have to admit, the Green KX 65 looks SO enticing... Lower a shock, cut the seat, etc... Maybe next year. The thing is, I have a 4 year old little ripper who can't wait to get on that KTM 50, so I am pretty much stuck with improving my wrenching skills on these little pumpkins. :cheers: As mentioned, I owe beers. SR

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

To transition the 4 year ripper to the SX 50 get an exhaust restrictor from brapoffroad.com.The bike will barely move forward with it in.As he gets used to it drill out the restrictor a hair,do that a couple of times then you can toss it,very safe way for the little guys to get used to the rocket power.What usually happens otherwise is a large fist full of whiskey throttle is applied resulting in a spectacular crash & little Johny doesn't want to ride the rocket anymore. :crazy:

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

Hahaha! No kidding. I actually have one of those restricter washers from Brapp and never installed because I was able to transition the 7 (now 8) y/o onto the KTM without too much trouble. Is your dude riding a 65 yet?

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Yes, Ty started on a SX 65 this year & is really enjoying it.He had a great ride at the Cactus Coulie race.Yee ha, no more rebuilding clutchs every few weeks. :D

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

actionsports wrote:Hahaha! No kidding. I actually have one of those restricter washers from Brapp and never installed because I was able to transition the 7 (now 8) y/o onto the KTM without too much trouble. Is your dude riding a 65 yet?
Do by any chance still have this restrictor? I'm getting my 50 ready for junior when he outgrows his pw.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

For bush trail riding would it make more sense to use the adventurer Springs? I just picked up a good 06 KTM SX 50 pro senior. I think I might have made a mistake after reading about these clutches. The 06 mini adventure we have has been great. Never touch the clutch minimal oil changes not one issue.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

ttwest wrote:For bush trail riding would it make more sense to use the adventurer Springs? I just picked up a good 06 KTM SX 50 pro senior. I think I might have made a mistake after reading about these clutches. The 06 mini adventure we have has been great. Never touch the clutch minimal oil changes not one issue.
Mini adventure springs work fine, I installed mine shimmed to the recommended max, and don't forget to use the inner sleeve that the washers ride on as a spacer. I also geared the bike down, which helped it pull from a stop/climb etc. IMO there's not really a lot wrong with these clutches, except at possibly the highest level MX. They function as a system though, so if lots of parts are worn, best to replace as a complete unit. These bikes need to be ridden with some throttle aggression to avoid the slipping at the engagement point. Mini Adventure springs fix that, although it'll never be a great trail bike.

These bikes like to have the oil changed very, very often. I changed it after every ride with Maxima 75w and Two2Cool additive at 225ml vs what the case says.

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

Thanks I'll try that set up.