Exhaust Question

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Exhaust Question

Post by FlamesFan »

As some of you know I am a new owner of an 08 200 XC-W with next to no hours on it. However the previous owner did not know much about bike maintenance and didn't seem to really care to learn much about it either.

So I drained all the gas out of the bike and as suspected he had been running the bike really rich. This has caused an oil build up in the exhaust which correct me if im wrong is what is causing some of the "excess" smoke to come out of the exhaust. ( I made sure it was not coolant leaking from the top end ) Now is there anything I should do about this as far as tearing the exhaust apart and cleaning or repacking the exhaust? Or do I just ride it out and let it burn itself off?

Thanks!

- Sean

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Exhaust Question

Post by rogue »

You can buy some 4T packing and re pack the muffler. It's pretty easy to do and the 4T packing is easier to work with then the 2T stuff. It will help to keep the db's down and that will help keep our trails open.
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

rogue wrote:You can buy some 4T packing and re pack the muffler. It's pretty easy to do and the 4T packing is easier to work with then the 2T stuff. It will help to keep the db's down and that will help keep our trails open.
Thanks rogue. I was actually going to bring up some questions about silencer and spark suppression options later on in this thread. I didn't want to ask to many questions all at once.

So you are just recommending to repack the muffler and all should be good?

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I'm sure trailguy can give you jetting specs to make your bike run right, knowing little to nothing about ktms, I can't help you out, but it's probably jetted for sealevel and our riding is at 4k+.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

FlamesFan wrote:
rogue wrote:You can buy some 4T packing and re pack the muffler. It's pretty easy to do and the 4T packing is easier to work with then the 2T stuff. It will help to keep the db's down and that will help keep our trails open.
Thanks rogue. I was actually going to bring up some questions about silencer and spark suppression options later on in this thread. I didn't want to ask to many questions all at once.

So you are just recommending to repack the muffler and all should be good?

I'm not sure what your asking. Are you talking carb setup or packing the muffler. As far as the muffler goes, disassemble the muffler and remember how it came apart. Remove the old packing, clean the pipe up. I used the 4T packing and rapped it around the core of the pipe enough times to fill the muffler. Use some packing tape to hold it in pace, so it does not come unraveled. Then reassemble the pipe. The o rings are a bit of a pain but you will get it soon or later.

As for the carb there are a few of us here that have 200 hundreds, Trailguy would be the one to ask about setting it up the carb, he's had 200's for quiet some time and would seem to have them dialed.

If memory serves me right mine is setup something like this. Maybe a couple of the other guys who have had them will chime in.

Pilot 42
main 160
fuel 80/1
needle #2 position according to the manual. Stand the needle up so the point is touching your desk. KTM counts it 1 at the top and 5 getting closer to the point.
idle 3/4 turns out from fully closed clockwise
air screw 1 1/4 out from closed.
gearing 13:48 I don't like the W gearing so I run it like a 5 speed using second as my first and first only for really techy stuff.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by rogue on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

rogue wrote: fuel 80/1
To run 80:1 mix rogue is running synthetic 2 stroke oil that is designed to run this high (as high as 100:1).

Didn't want you to run any 2t oil at 80:1 and lose a motor. :crybaby:

(I also run 80:1)
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Even if the bike was little spoogy I probaby wouldn't bother repacking the muffler yet. It will never be as good as KTM does it and at 15 or so hours you have plenty of hours left in it until it will need it.

Jet the bike.

Rogue seems to have all the info except which needle he is using. But take his advise with a grain of salt as I hear he runs out of gas on rides (too rich or?) :smirk:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Hendrix13 wrote:
To run 80:1 mix rogue is running synthetic 2 stroke oil that is designed to run this high (as high as 100:1).

Also decide what you are going to mix your fuel/oil at prior to jetting the bike. This will affect the overall outcome of the jetting performance.

Mine is 55-60 to 1. even if the oil can go to 100 to 1 I wouldn't. KTM recommends 60 I think?

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

As for jetting , I would use whaterver trailguy reccomends. If the muffler is full of the oily mixture, I would still replace the packing as when the jetting gets corrected it will just burn the packing out anyway. With regard to the oil mixture, run whatever the oil manufacturere recommends, but use a good oil like the Blue Marble or the Opti 2 brands. I personally have run Opti 2 at the recommended 100-1 ratio in all the 2 strokes I have owned and never had any trouble whatsoever with the premix ratio. Also at that level there is very little spooge out the pipe. JMHO, and welcome to the club, sign up and enjoy. I also know of a very lightly used 2006 WR 250f for sale -- WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

steve-o wrote:
Hendrix13 wrote:

Also decide what you are going to mix your fuel/oil at prior to jetting the bike. This will affect the overall outcome of the jetting performance.

Mine is 55-60 to 1. even if the oil can go to 100 to 1 I wouldn't. KTM recommends 60 I think?
Thanks steve. I currently have my gas mixed at 55:1 just like you. I guess I should hope trailguy reads this thread! Maybe he will be nice enough to post his jetting settings.

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

WR_Dave wrote:As for jetting , I would use whaterver trailguy reccomends. If the muffler is full of the oily mixture, I would still replace the packing as when the jetting gets corrected it will just burn the packing out anyway. With regard to the oil mixture, run whatever the oil manufacturere recommends, but use a good oil like the Blue Marble or the Opti 2 brands. I personally have run Opti 2 at the recommended 100-1 ratio in all the 2 strokes I have owned and never had any trouble whatsoever with the premix ratio. Also at that level there is very little spooge out the pipe. JMHO, and welcome to the club, sign up and enjoy. I also know of a very lightly used 2006 WR 250f for sale -- WR Dave
Thanks Dave. I also am using opti 2!

Oh and I signed up for a membership a few days ago. Looks like I just got accepted :lol:

- Sean

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

steve-o wrote:Even if the bike was little spoogy I probaby wouldn't bother repacking the muffler yet. It will never be as good as KTM does it and at 15 or so hours you have plenty of hours left in it until it will need it.

Jet the bike.

Rogue seems to have all the info except which needle he is using. But take his advise with a grain of salt as I hear he runs out of gas on rides (too rich or?) :smirk:

Ya sorry it's the stock needle for this elavation NOZH :thumbsup:

And I only run out of gas if I hit tree and forget to pick up the bike, or are you referring to the truck, because that's another story all together.
. :lol: Otherwise I get obout 75k :thinking:

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

WR_Dave wrote:As for jetting , I would use whaterver trailguy reccomends. If the muffler is full of the oily mixture, I would still replace the packing as when the jetting gets corrected it will just burn the packing out anyway. With regard to the oil mixture, run whatever the oil manufacturere recommends, but use a good oil like the Blue Marble or the Opti 2 brands. I personally have run Opti 2 at the recommended 100-1 ratio in all the 2 strokes I have owned and never had any trouble whatsoever with the premix ratio. Also at that level there is very little spooge out the pipe. JMHO, and welcome to the club, sign up and enjoy. I also know of a very lightly used 2006 WR 250f for sale -- WR Dave

TrailGuy help out with the set up and I'm running synthetic like Hendrix mentioned. My suggestions would not likely work for 55:1. I can say that I have put over 3000k on before doing a top end well running 80:1 with the setup I mentioned with no trouble.

Good luck.

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Post by FlamesFan »

rogue wrote:

TrailGuy help out with the set up and I'm running synthetic like Hendrix mentioned. My suggestions would not likely work for 55:1. I can say that I have put over 3000k on before doing a top end well running 80:1 with the setup I mentioned with no trouble.

Good luck.
Cool. Yeh I don't suspect my top end at all being the culprit. The bike is an 08 with 14.6 hours and 300km's on it. I just know after draining all the gas the previous owner had in it that the gas was mixed with to much oil and that the jetting is way to rich. I think im going to take steve's advice on not repacking unless absolutely necessary. The bike really needs to be jetted properly to our elevation and climate. Trailguy please help! :D

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

FlamesFan wrote: The bike really needs to be jetted properly to our elevation and climate.
Do you winter ride? If not start here. This should give you agood base line.

ASO @ 1 turn out
Pilot jet - 42
NOZH needle on the 3rd
with a 160 main.

If the bike loads up and feels burbilly (sp?) and is late to come onto the pipe it is too rich so then move the needle clip to postion number 2. If it feels like it has no power you need to richen it up a bit by going the other way.

I found with my 200 when I owned one, the owners manual was real close in the jetting recommends. That being said the KTM manual also likes to recomend one square to rich. Find out what it recommends and go one square leaner.

Start there.

Do you know how to check jets and needles etc.?