garage floor coating

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: garage floor coating

Post by Rackman »

I did mine six years ago and It is holding up good!

I etched it with acid... Must use goggles and a RESPERATOR!!! it was crazy when the acid hit the floor!
I missed one spot and when I put down the epoxy I saw it orange peal... I new that that spot was going to be a problem...
The rest has been good for six years.

You can get the epoxies with different levels of solids... the more solids the less the working time... This scared me so I went with less solids... In retrospect I would have went with more solids to have a thicker coat and better finish.

PS go heavy on the acid!!! you cant go back and do it after you have layed the epoxy!

PM Me if you have any questions
Attachments
Jamies garage 010.jpg

Dadrides
User
User

Post by Dadrides »

Hey Dobi, go to industrial paints and plastics, buy thier top of the line epoxy floor coating, pick up some masonary discs for a grinder(lend you mine), scuff the floor, wash with TSP and let dry well, coat with the epoxy, let sit 7 days. No way will that peel! You can even go up the wall and protect drywall!

If you are pouring a new pad leave a heavy brush finish, wait 30 days(all concrete MUST cure 30 days before coating), wash with TSP and coat, no need to scuff(mechanical bond). :cheers:

On a side note I am working a deal for a 09 250sx. We will see though.

otter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by otter »

I have never had a good experience with any kind of paint...1 part, 2 part, concrete specific paint, it always peels somewhere, even with all of the above steps for preparing the surface. So I went with whats called a VCT tile, similar to what you would find on a grocery store floor. The cost for my 24x26 garage was about $600 and that was 4 years ago. It has stood up well and gets used like a garage floor, ie. oil,gas,salt even studs from my bike if I'm feeling too lazy to put something down. I mop it to clean it and although the surface is slippery if you have snow on your boots it isn't to bad when wet but the smooth surface makes it easy to clean. I put a coat of sealer on it once a year or so and that is all for maintenance.
Oh yeah, I don't weld on it
I think all of the above steps for preparing the surface are important and even if a tile did lift it would be easy to replace just one ( I have not had to do this.)
Attachments
old camera 062.jpg

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Amercoat™
A full line of waterborne products combining high-performance coating protection with the advantages and conveniences of water-base technology. Amercoat may be used over tightly adhering old paint and rust as well as primed surfaces. It can be applied directly to metal on most interior and exterior surfaces and is also ideal for concrete and masonry.

Advantages:

* VOC compliance with single package convenience.
* Excellent gloss retention and weatherability.
* Superior impact resistance, chemical resistance and flexibility.
* Amercoat provides a beautiful, flexible, cleanable gloss finish that resists cracking and peeling.
* Amercoat significantly out-performs conventional acrylic coatings.
* Easy cleanup and availability in a wide range of colors.

Ferami

Post by Ferami »

Just my two cents...in this old thread...

I had my garage done professionally and it's great. They start by grinding the concrete to remove the skin on the concrete that has oil and other stuff on it. Then they lay the epoxy. Before the epoxy sets, they sprinkle some color stuff on the epoxy. The guy has "nail shoes", that is shoes with a bed of nails in the sole so he doesn't leave prints in the epoxy as he walks on the epoxy to spread the sprinkle stuff. The next day, the epoxy is cured and they sweep off the excess sprinkle stuff.

Then a few days later, they come back and put a clear coat on top. It is NOT slippery. I've walked on it wet, with sawdust on it, and never felt that my footing was uncertain.

My shop is in the two car section of the garage and my wife has the remaining one car section. I built a wall between the two sections. Her section is fine, no peeling or other failures.

I would recommend you have it done professionally and check out the reviews of the people who do it. If done right, it's a good looking, long lasting coating for the garage.