Winter Storage Procedures/Tips & Oil Type

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
redrider
Writer
Writer

Winter Storage Procedures/Tips & Oil Type

Post by redrider »

Hey is anyone inclined to post their basic winter storage procedures or tips for our climate? :attention:

I am not sure if I am doing all that's required, so wouldn't mind comparing:

My procedures for storing my 2002 XR650R inlvolve:
-wash bike thoroughly
-lube chain well
-lube all moving parts litely
-run bike 15 mins to warm oil
-drain oil while warm and replace oil filter
-replace oil ( :confused: any recommmendations on oil for 4 strokers :confused: )
-drain engine coolant
-clean overflow tank
-refill coolant (Honda brand pre-mix)
-add fuel conditioner to 1/8 tank of gas
-replace spark plug
-run bike for 5-10 mins to ensure oil, coolant and fuel conditioner is flowing
-clean K&N air filter
-check tire pressure to be ~10lbs front and back
-drain gas from tank and carb. bowl
-store on moto-x stand so suspension is not compressed
-I think that has it all

Come spring the bike is ready to rock and roll.

Again, I am not sure with all the brands and types of oil out there if using Quaker state Synthetic 10w-40 is acceptable or not for our climate. I have heard varying reports regarding synthetic oil and clutches and break in periods (not that I'm breaking in any longer) etc... Anyone have a definitive answer/recommendation on this one? What have others used year in and out with great success, I'm interested in what others are proponents of.

Thanx
RedRider
Proudly :canada:
RedRider (Brad B.)
2014 Husqvarna TE300

**You never fail until you stop trying**

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Everything sounds good on your list except the tank. If you store in a heated environment your method is good , but if the bike is stored in an environment that heats and cools with the outside temp, I recommend leaving the tank completely full with stabilizer mixed in and the carb bowl drained. The full tank prevents any condensation from forming in the tank with the rise and fall of the outside temp. This is more of a problem with metal tanks but it is still aconcern on the plastic tanks we all have. My .02--WR Dave :excuse:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

That sounds like a pretty extensive list. I used to cover mine with a sheet too :D Keeps the dust off.

As for oil, I have had really good luck with the Motul 15w50 in my Yamaha. It lasts good and the clutch works great.

My winter procedure now is:

Install grip heaters.
Put handlebar muffs in gear bag for really cold days.
Install studded tires.
Clean filter.
Change oil.

Ride every chance I get :D

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

WOW, redrider, our winters really aren't that long!

Actually, I think the last thing you would want to do before you throw your bike into a 5 month deep freeze is power wash it!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Any oil you use should be wet clutch compatible. If the oil container says anything about energy or fuel(gas) saver don't use it because it has additives that are not made for wet clutches. Motul is a great oil.
Claude

redrider
Writer
Writer

Post by redrider »

Perfect. Motul 15w50 which is wet clutch compatible. I'm on it.

Maybe one year I will spring for studded tires and get out onto the winter trails wit yas.

Thanx guys.

Brad
RedRider (Brad B.)
2014 Husqvarna TE300

**You never fail until you stop trying**

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i completely drain my tank and carb of all gas. It is 2 stroke.
Is this what i should be doing or fill it with oil/gas mix and a stabilizer?
Thanks
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

In my opinion Tom, it will depend on where your bike spends its winter months. Heated or temp controlled environment your method is good. If your bike spends it's winter in the shed getting warm,cold,warm,cold then I recommend that you fill the tank with fuel and stabilizer and drain the carb bowl. Empty tanks invite condensation. Like I said before this is just my .02 and I have never had any problems. Also a change of oil before storage is a must to rid the engine of any acids that form in used oil, bad for cranks and bearings on a four stoke. WR Dave. :cheers:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I've always just drained the tank and carb and I've never had a problem. I feel better with it sitting around without a few gallons of flammables in the tank.

Other than that, I usually pour a few cc's of engine oil in the cylinder and cycle the engine a few rounds. Put it on a stand, cover it up to keep the dust and UV rays away and plug the exhaust.

For 2-strokes, my Dad always used to run this purpose made seal-n-store aerosol through his snowmobile engine when he put it away for the summer. You spray it in the carb(s) with the engine running and supposedly it lubricates everything well. I don't know if it does all that much, but it sure makes a big cloud of smoke when you are doing it.

One year I was storing my bike at a friend's place out in the country, and some mice decided that my airbox was a good place to store their cache of stolen horse food. I took my seat off to find that the airbox was filled to the rim with food pellets. Didn't hurt anything, but was good for a laugh.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks guys.
i ran the carb dry but left some gas in the reseve tanks. i will empty in the spring.
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com