front sprocket replacement

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
millsy

front sprocket replacement

Post by millsy »

having trouble breaking the nut loose to change my front sprocket on a 06 wr450. wondering if its reverse thread? any suggestions?

tydo58
User
User

Re: front sprocket replacement

Post by tydo58 »

I am having the same issue with my 08 KTM as I have a leaky seal in there. I cannot budge mine with a ratchet and socket alone and have heard they have factory red lock-tite. Some of the guys over at another site are saying that you need to hit it with an impact. From what I have been told these are not left hand thread as the sprocket turns counter clockwise during forward rotation. (makes sense)

I plan to go over to a friends today (HD mech.) and use his tools! I will try to keep you posted on how I make out.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

It is right hand threaded, I do use my impact gun to knock the nut off, but if you don't have that option, you can put the bike in a high gear and have someo one step down on the rear brake while you use a ratchet and socket with a snipe to pull up (from the rear side of the sprocket ) on the nut. Make sure the lock tabs are back far enough from the nut. WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

millsy

Post by millsy »

thanks for info guys :cheers: . I was a bit learry of putting a snipe on it until I knew it wasn't reverse thread. Back to the garage tonight to give it another shot.

millsy

Post by millsy »

1 foot snipe on a 1/2" drive rachet got it off no problem :thumbsup: .