Welding Magnesium? - Hole in clutch cover

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Welding Magnesium? - Hole in clutch cover

Post by Rackman »

Hey,

I would be interested in some opinions about repairing a small hole I punched in my clutch cover last weekend. It’s about 1.5mm x 5mm. It looks like the rear brake pedal pushed up into the case when I crashed. It is not cracked; it has pushed a small piece of material inward that I could easily remove.
KTM 450 EXC

Options I see?

1. Welding (Do you know any one who you would trust to weld magnesium in town, is warping a concern? its about three inches from the gasket)

2. I had someone suggest using a steel epoxy made for aluminum?? Cheap fix if it works???

3. Buy a new cover??? Expensive, I saw one on Enduroeng.com

I would be interested in any ideas!

Thanks

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

New one should be about $80...so I would buy a new cover...not worth messing around.

...and if you havent got one, buy a skid plate with the side protection.

:cheers:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

magnesium

Post by DirtGirl »

I think Areotech (sp?) does magnesium. They are located by Golden Acres and Varsity Chrysler.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

Thanks,

For $80.00 I would not screw around I thought they wer $400.00 based on the after marke. I will check.

And Areotech, I used to know some of the guys there, thansk for the reminder, I will check them out!

Jamie

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

It depends on what clutch cover it has I believe it is the whole side case not just an access cover which will defiantly be more. I think I see one in the ktm hard parts for pretty cheap that turns the side cover into having the access cover, making clutch changes easy.

However, a friend and me have JB welded covers and they have held for a couple years now. I took the cover off cleaned both sides really good and put JB weld on both sides worked well.

2-piece cover

I guess its not cheap but I am pretty sure I seen the same things just not as bling bling for around $120 just cant remeber were.
KTM 250 xcfw #53

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

The factory case cover was 150.00 plus, So I tried an epoxy product. So far it looks good but i'm concerned about knocking it out if in fact it was the brake that caught it. If it was a rock, lets hope that lightning does not strike twice! The carbon fibre protectors are $120.00 probably a good investment but i'm going to look for a more reasonably priced protector.

Thanks all for your help.
Jamie