E-Starts & Batteries

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
buggo
Writer
Writer

E-Starts & Batteries

Post by buggo »

As a couple of you may know, I have been having quite a bit of trouble starting my NEW bike.
(Husky's infinite wisdom to leave out a kick starter!) :banghead:
Well, after 2 new batteries and a new starter, (supplied by Husky, they really are AWESOME to deal with)
I figured out what was going on. :buttkick: (gotta swallow some pride here)
My expensive battery charger was charging at 2 amps.
The battery stated max of 1.5 amps charge rate. The battery simply would not accept charge!
As a last resort, I bought a $14 CDN Tire trickle charger and the bike has never started better!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Excellent.

Hope to see you riding soon. :cheers:

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

Hey Buggo,

I did that one my self :blush:

Now I have a new problem, I have an intermittant problem with my starter. I'm sure it is in the switch. Have any other of you KTM riders experianced any switch problems before I run of and buy a new one? (Hopfully not to find that it is not the switch!)

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

:buttkick: Sell the 450 and buy a 300...they dont have "switch" problems :smirk:

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

LOL

Don't Laugh too hard, Thats advice I just might take! I may have to save up some pennies though. Ooooh ya and the divorce will be expesive too.

Maybe I should buy a 200 for my wife and borrow it on weekends!

:-)

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

I'm sure it is in the switch
You could cheat and buy a $5 kill switch(2 wire). Isolate your start relay wire and wire it into the smaller, MUCH cheaper switch. It will handle the amps. and you can mount it temporarily if you like till you know you cured your issues. :cheers:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Glad to hear you found your problem, now you can enjoy that Husky! :applause:
Claude

BigR
Writer
Writer

Post by BigR »

Now I have a new problem, I have an intermittant problem with my starter. I'm sure it is in the switch. Have any other of you KTM riders experianced any switch problems before I run of and buy a new one? (Hopfully not to find that it is not the switch!) Rackman, I've seen the intermittant problem before a few time and it was always the obvious, loose battery connections. I would check and clean all conections before springing foe a new switch, they are expensive.
I have no enlightening quips

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

buggo wrote:
I'm sure it is in the switch
You could cheat and buy a $5 kill switch(2 wire). Isolate your start relay wire and wire it into the smaller, MUCH cheaper switch. It will handle the amps. and you can mount it temporarily if you like till you know you cured your issues. :cheers:
Hmmm, Simple but effective. I like that Idea. I will recheck the conection to the battery, and then take your advice on the Cheap kill switch.

PS. MotorEd, as much as I liked your advice it seems as though KTM 300's are virtually sold out, It looks like you guys have cornered the market! It's probably for the better, I get more exersise picking up the 450. :-)

Thanks for the help,
Jamie

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

If you can't get a KTM 300 how about looking at a GasGas? PM me about one.
Claude

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

It was defiantly the switch, I shorted it and it cranked immediately. So I took it apart and tweaked the contacts slightly and it works. It is a bit of a Mickey Mouse switch inside. I hope they change it.

Jamie

PS there was an article about E-Start and a long walk out of the bush after realizing there backup/kick starter was gone! I just went through my bolts and well lets just say that was almost me! Time to boost my maintanace schedule!