ICE Screws

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

ICE Screws

Post by dirtyboy »

I'd like to buy or know where to buy screws to put in my tires.

Anyone know? :confused:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Most dealers carry Kold Kutters or can order some.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Cool. Do you know the quantities that they come in? 100 or 1000 etc?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I think they come in 500's or 1000's.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks. I'll ask for them when I'm in the store tomorrow. :cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think a few ice screws would be a good idea for the West Sharpless race. I know I could have used a few last year with the one ice downhill.

I figure maybe a screw every 3 knobs might be just a bit of traction on the ice without making it too slippery on the rock. :confused:

Any suggestions?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Is that for the race or just riding? Screws aren't allowed for racing, as far as I know.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cladoo wrote:Is that for the race or just riding? Screws aren't allowed for racing, as far as I know.
Last year they allowed screws. Some used them. Some didn't. I didn't but wish that I had. :excuse:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

If they allow them great! I'm not sure how many to use though.

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

Hey guys,there are several types of ice screws available depending on the intended use.The cold cutters would be a good choice for the sharpless race as they are not too tall however you must put them in the right places,proper length of screw threads and pitch(angle) >I was one of only a few who ran them last year and they certainly helped.The shorter length of screws are 1/2 to 3/4 screws which come in 1000 quantity,the longer ones come in 500s.I sell them myself so let me know if I can help-Over the years I have logged thousands of kms of winter riding some ice racing-JUST CAN"T GET ENOUGH OF THAT DIRT (SNOW) BIKING!! :banana:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks rooster,

I moved this over since it has turned technical and really isn't very classified in nature. :banana:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

rooster wrote:Hey guys,there are several types of ice screws available depending on the intended use.The cold cutters would be a good choice for the sharpless race as they are not too tall however you must put them in the right places,proper length of screw threads and pitch(angle) >I was one of only a few who ran them last year and they certainly helped.The shorter length of screws are 1/2 to 3/4 screws which come in 1000 quantity,the longer ones come in 500s.I sell them myself so let me know if I can help-Over the years I have logged thousands of kms of winter riding some ice racing-JUST CAN"T GET ENOUGH OF THAT DIRT (SNOW) BIKING!! :banana:
Rooster, I cancelled my order for ice screws since I think that they are were going to be too short. You mentioned the 1/2" don't stay in long enough. Do I need to get 1" screws and install them on an angle?

I just want to get a bit of traction on the ice but not ruin the dirt and rock traction too much. Most of the track last year was dry.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

dirtboy wrote: Rooster, I cancelled my order for ice screws since I think that they are were going to be too short. You mentioned the 1/2" don't stay in long enough. Do I need to get 1" screws and install them on an angle?

I just want to get a bit of traction on the ice but not ruin the dirt and rock traction too much. Most of the track last year was dry.
If you have fairly new tires you should be able to put 1" in the back and 3/4" in the front. Those should hold pretty good, depending how hard you are on the gas. To go any bigger you will need to put a liner in.

I race sharpless last year with ice screw and man what a diffrence it made, i was doing really good until about the third lap and came flying down the first icy hill and couldnt slow down, most of my screws had fallen out. But I was only using 5/8" in the front and 3/4" in the back.

Contact Rock Central Cycle he's got tons of ice screws in stock, should have 3/4" and 1".

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BigD,

Thanks for the info. Glad to see you found us here.

Rock Central Cycle? I've never really heard of them. I found their web site. They seem to be the ice racing store?

Hope to see you are our next meeting. We can have bubbly there. :cheers:

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

dirtboy wrote:BigD,

Thanks for the info. Glad to see you found us here.

Rock Central Cycle? I've never really heard of them. I found their web site. They seem to be the ice racing store?

Hope to see you are our next meeting. We can have bubbly there. :cheers:
Yeah I seen the poll what bike do you ride and had to get the yamaha's ahead.

The last two meetings I was too busy with school but I should see ya at the next one.