A second opinion......

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

A second opinion......

Post by Brenan225 »

I got my hands on a 03 CRF80 the other day for free, the catch is a blown engine. My nefew cleaned the air filter but didn't oil it and then rode in a gravel/sand pit. I tore the top end off and found about a spoon full of sand on top of the piston plus sand in the carb and intake track. I convinsed my brother-in law that it would be more to fix the bike than was worth so he gave it to me. After some asking I figure it is going to be about $800 to split the cases and rebuild from the crank up (no valve work)

My question is this

Should I spend the money on Honda parts and labour or should I go with a nock-off engine (chinese) that I can pick up for $400 ready to bolt in?
http://www.x-rage.ca
Resist, Insist,and Persist

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

From what I've read, the engines are the best part of the chinese bikes. Depends on what you want to do with the bike. It seems to me that the chinese engine would work well and perform the same, but may not last like a Honda lump. If you do, go with the 100cc engine instead of the 80cc. Then you'll have a bit more grunt, the Honda engine for spare parts (they interchange as I understand) and an extra $400. If you're planning to sell the bike, be honest about what the engine is, the buyer will likely be ticked off if they figure out they got Lifan (or whatever) instead of Honda.

Then again, if it can be running again for $400, wouldn't it make sense to have your brother-in-law pay for the new engine and give it back to the nephew?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Are you doing the work yourself or is that estimate from a bike shop with labour included? I would stick to rebuilding it and stay far away from the Asian knockoffs, I have heard nothing good about them.
Claude