Helmets

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Helmets

Post by Spinalguy »

Well i need a new one.
i do not like "flash". i prefer a low key black one with no graphics.

How much do i need to spend? It is my head so i can justify $300 more or less.

Where should i look?

Who has the best pricing? selection?

i am out for at laest 2 more weks so if i have to special order it, that is ok.

Thanks for any and all help.
Tom :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Helmets

Post by cedric »

I think they are all pretty much safe enough, spending more money just gets you more comfort. Almost all of them have a Snell approval now, which is above and beyond the DOT approval that is required by law (for road use anyway, I don't think the law actually requires any helmet for off-roading). The value in helmets these days is much better than it used to be. Years ago all of the cheaper ones were butt ugly, heavy and did not have Snell approval, but now most all of them are pretty reasonable.

I just bought a new one not too long ago, and the biggest thing for me was that it had to have a removable liner so that I could wash it out after a while. As everyone has a different head, it is important that it fits you well and is comfortable, because you will be wearing it for long periods of time. You may want to bring along your goggles to make sure that they fit in the eyeport properly.

I looked around at a few places and ended up buying mine at Pro-Am. Although they did not have a great selection, they had one that suited me and was priced right (it was a clearout model). I think it was $300 marked down to $200. I'm quite happy with it. Blackfoot has quite a selection of helmets ranging from $100 to $800 (ouch!).

Hope this helps.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN SQUID

Post by ROCKY MOUNTAIN SQUID »

Arai make some really nice helmet's. They're pricey, but your noggin is fairly important...... :bonk: ...... especially after being thrown off your bike in a crash.

Always buy a helmet that has both a SNELL and a DOT rating.

http://www.araiamericas.com/

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Fly Lite Racing, love mine, very light :thumbsup: Oh yeah and that was a pretty nice scuff mark on your lid, not to mention the 3' skid mark on the ground :crazy:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've been really happy with my HJC AC-X1 with removable liner. At the time it was a Shoei replica.

After 8 years and having my bike fall over with the helmet on the handlebar, I'll be buying a new helmet too. I tried on a few different helmets but they all felt strange. HJC is coming out with a new helmet called AC-X3 and it is supposed to be well made and cheaper (<$300).

Walt Healy said they would get it mid-October. It is in the 2006 Parts Canada catalogue but not on the HJC web site. I think that is what I'll be getting. :cheers:

Oh yeah, and after 4 years it's time for a new neck roll. I think that the neck roll adds to the safety of the helmet by protecting the spine from getting squished when you land on your head. :D

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

HELMET

Post by DirtGirl »

YOU NEED THE SNELL APPROVAL FOR RACING
After hearing about some of the accidents lately, it IS your head so spend as much as you can within reason. Do not by a poly carbonate (plastic shell). Fiberglass and of course kevlar are the best. Not sure what new composites they have come up with now.....
Keep in mind too that some heads are better suited to certain brands ie you are either a shoei head or an arai head, not usually both. Whatever.

Walts has always treated us good, tell the guys that Dirt TV sent you.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Excellent advice from all. Thank you.
i do spend my money at Walts. Craig has always treated me well.
Tom :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I use an Oneal but my friend at work bought a real nice SixSixOne, he says it is the most comfortable helmet he treid on and he treid them all. It looks good.
Claude

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

That HJC AC is a good lid, not only is the lining washable, but it is also coolmax for a lil temperature relief!!!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

When I bought my last lid (fly lite racing) I also bought an extra liner, just a thought