A bike for my better half - advice needed

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

A bike for my better half - advice needed

Post by Brass »

I’m looking for a bit of advice, particularly from the ladies in the club. I’m thinking of getting a bike for my better half. She has only ridden a bike once in her life, a TTR125 at the Edmonton bike show last year. It was during a learn-to-ride program that lasted all of 30 minutes.

I’m on a tight budget this year due to the lion’s share of the savings going to our wedding coming up this August. I’m thinking of getting her a used bike like a yz80 or similar. The thinking is that she’ll easily be able to touch the ground, start the bike and the power won’t be overwhelming. I also know the bike will be outgrown pretty fast and it won’t take long for her to progress to something bigger. Likely a new(er) bike next year.

My questions are; what else should I be considering to ensure a positive experience with this, either regarding her or the bike. Should I be looking at a different bike? Is there any special bike setup that should be done? I know a TTR125 would likely “fit” her better for now but again keeping the budget in mind. The extra $500 or so spent now on a bike could be going towards chair covers for the wedding.

Since she doesn’t know I’m looking for a bike for her, some advice on how to present this idea to her would also be welcome. She has wedding tunnel vision at the moment and so therefore believes all the extra disposable income should be going towards that.

Any advice is appreciated.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: A bike for my better half - advice needed

Post by Hendrix13 »

The TTR125 is a great bike for a first time rider. My wife loves her's. She's had it for a couple years and is not interested in a bigger bike. It has great torque. I'm thinking a yz80 would need to be driven a little more aggesively (on the pipe) to perform properly. For my wife...slow and easy is the way to go :) I'll ride mostly quad trails with her...no aggressive single track.

If your interested in saving money, I was considering selling the TTR125 I have and upgrading to one with eletric start. It runs good but needs a little TLC (ie tires, grips etc)
Send me a PM if want to discuss it more.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by thumper-darryl »

If you want her to continue riding DO NOT get any sort of 80 cc MX bike. The 125cc -150cc 4 strokes are great to learn on, while the 80 cc MX bikes are awful.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

X3 on the don't go 80 cc. My wife is a very aggressive down hill mountain biker and the TTR 125 is working just fine for her first dirt bike. I asked her if she wanted to up grade and she had no interest. The only thing I did was build her a set of riser bars to make the bike a little more comfortable.

Cheers :cheers:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Like so many others I started riding on 2T 80's and had a blast with them, so I guess that's why I gravited towards 80s, along with the price of used ones.
I need for this to be a very positive experience or my butt will be in the roaster for a long time. I can almost hear it now... "you spent how much for another dirt bike? That money could have been used for a bigger cake" :crazy:

Thanks for the advice.

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Wangchung »

It all depends on personal preference. My wife tried a friends CRF150 (e start) and that thing was a tank. She hated it (wife is 5'2", 110 lbs). There son had a CR80 and my wife was a little scared at first, but she liked the lightness of it, and she had no problem starting it.
I bought her a 05 KTM 85SX, put in a rekluse, flywheel weight, geared it down, and she likes it. She has no problem starting it, picking it up and with the rekluse and flywheel weight, it not to scary to ride.
Down falls of this set up, small fuel tank and the price of a rekluse.
2018 Husqvarna TX300
2014 KTM 450 SXF FE
2014 KX500 (KTM 350 frame)
2011 KTM 350 XCF (for sale)
2005 KTM 525 MXC
2002 CR500 (CRF450 frame)
1981 YZ465

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

How tall, heavy etc is your wife? Is she sporty to begin with or is she shy and timid?
I think I would tend to stay away from the 80 as well. You might be able to find an older/smaller 4strk, WR 200, KDX200(older).
If she is really green and unsure, start in a field where there is nothing to run into!!
Better yet, let another lady teach her!

Just my 2 cents!
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Brass wrote: I’m on a tight budget this year due to the lion’s share of the savings going to our wedding coming up this August.

The extra $500 or so spent now on a bike could be going towards chair covers for the wedding.

She has wedding tunnel vision at the moment and so therefore believes all the extra disposable income should be going towards that.

Advice:

Well, first off, put your foot down! Chairs covers, plate chargers, larger cakes, ribbons and flowers are all for one day and one day only! A dirt bike can last forever and will definatley bring more joy!! I'm telling you, do what ever you can to not buy all that wedding stuff, becasue if you don't you WILL always have it in the back of your mind just how much all that stuff cost you at the end of the day.

I speak from experience and can speak freely on this forum as my wife wouldn't even know where to begin looking for my post on all this wedding bliss. :smirk:

Secondly, don't get her a bike at all. The biggest joy we all have is to go for a ride with our buddy's, not our buddy's wives'. The majority of all the men in this sport do it to get away from the ladies! If they are honest with you they'll agree and over time I'm sure you will too!

I guess I'm done making trouble now :smirk: and if I have offended you, I really hope you don't take me too seriously, If I haven't offended you, please listen to my advice! :lol:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

steve-o wrote:
Brass wrote: I’m on a tight budget this year due to the lion’s share of the savings going to our wedding coming up this August.

The extra $500 or so spent now on a bike could be going towards chair covers for the wedding.

She has wedding tunnel vision at the moment and so therefore believes all the extra disposable income should be going towards that.

Advice:

Well, first off, put your foot down! Chairs covers, plate chargers, larger cakes, ribbons and flowers are all for one day and one day only! A dirt bike can last forever and will definatley bring more joy!! I'm telling you, do what ever you can to not buy all that wedding stuff, becasue if you don't you WILL always have it in the back of your mind just how much all that stuff cost you at the end of the day.

I speak from experience and can speak freely on this forum as my wife wouldn't even know where to begin looking for my post on all this wedding bliss. :smirk:

Secondly, don't get her a bike at all. The biggest joy we all have is to go for a ride with our buddy's, not our buddy's wives'. The majority of all the men in this sport do it to get away from the ladies! If they are honest with you they'll agree and over time I'm sure you will too!

I guess I'm done making trouble now :smirk: and if I have offended you, I really hope you don't take me too seriously, If I haven't offended you, please listen to my advice! :lol:
Wow! I thought we lived in the 21st century! I think there are several Ladies that would love to take YOU for a ride! You must be divorced - LOL!

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

What kind of RIDE?? :smirk: :excuse:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

DirtGirl wrote:How tall, heavy etc is your wife? Is she sporty to begin with or is she shy and timid?
I think I would tend to stay away from the 80 as well. You might be able to find an older/smaller 4strk, WR 200, KDX200(older).
If she is really green and unsure, start in a field where there is nothing to run into!!
Better yet, let another lady teach her!

Just my 2 cents!
She's 5'7" 120lbs and enjoys sports, likes the outdoors. A big concern for her is being able firmly to touch the ground. A WR200 or similar would be a deal breaker as first bike, she would be nervous just based on the seat height. A setup like what Wangchung decribes could be helpful for an 80. The 4T is sounding more like the proper way to go. It's the initial week or 2 that are critical. It may require renting a bike for a weekend.

Learning in a field is a must, her learning from another lady would be very helpful.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I think you can't go wrong with a TTR 125, they're pretty low

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

steve-o wrote:
Advice:

Yep, I will have it in the back of my mind.
steve-o wrote: I speak from experience and can speak freely on this forum as my wife wouldn't even know where to begin looking for my post on all this wedding bliss. :smirk:
Coward, grow a set and show her.
steve-o wrote: Secondly, don't get her a bike at all. The biggest joy we all have is to go for a ride with our buddy's, not our buddy's wives'. The majority of all the men in this sport do it to get away from the ladies! If they are honest with you they'll agree and over time I'm sure you will too!
Her own bike will let her get out riding with the girls, while I'm out riding with the guys. Plus, it will give me something else to work on in the garage (man cave), where life is nice and peaceful.
steve-o wrote: I guess I'm done making trouble now :smirk: and if I have offended you, I really hope you don't take me too seriously, If I haven't offended you, please listen to my advice! :lol:
:cheers:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

MtnBlue wrote:What kind of RIDE?? :smirk: :excuse:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DirtGirl, I didn't know it'd be you, but I was expecting a rise out of some chick on the forum, or should I say say that some chicks on this forum are expecting a rise out of me!! (according to you anyway.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man I kill me! :smirk: (oh ya, mostly happily married, well as happy as a marrage can make you anyway)

The things we can do for entertainment!

Brass, get the ttr. Everyone else is right!

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Steve-o you kill me. Always stiring the pot. :) :smirk: :lol: :smirk:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "