I Rode a '05 Yamaha YZ450...

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

I Rode a '05 Yamaha YZ450...

Post by Dakota_c69 »

...and I liked it. Camping/Dirt biking in BC this weekend and I swapped bikes with a couple of riders. I rode a relatively stock '05 YZ450 and a piped and geared '05 YZ450. Those bikes are VERY stable at speed and I could literally fly on the fire roads compared to with my 250EXC. The suspension is mucho better too. I did not however, get to try it out in the singletrack though.... It would be interesting to see how it compares in there.

I was quite suprised by how much better the suspension was though... instilled confidence on the fire road stuff for sure. My 250EXC seems much more skittish!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

ahh, isnt blue a great colour !!! IM guessing a few ks of single track would have your hands blistered and the arch of your right foot acheing.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Singletrack..........in a word, Handful, unless you do quite abit of mods(flywheel weight, gearing, larger gas tank, 18" wheel, rekluse,etc +++lights for around here). I've ridden a CRF450 stock and with the above mods, makes a big difference

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Makes me wonder what the WR450 would be like... :blah:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Next time we ride together you can take my 426 for a rip

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I have ridden YZ400/426's since '99, I love the power and traction these bikes have. I will never go back to a 2 stroke. I recently traded my 02 YZ426 for a 02 WR426, I swapped all the YZ plastic and seat over. I also did the exhaust cam mod so the engine is a YZ now. Way better suspension for the woods, the heavier flywheel is great (I used to stall it the tight stuff, no more!) and the tranny ratios are perfect for me. When this one wears out, i'll be looking for another blue bike (e-start WR450). The YZ 450's are now a 5 speed again, so I think you'll start seeing more in the bush.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

C'mon Glenn, you know you waaaaaannnnnnt it! A few mods for the bush and you will never go back to a smoker, LOL. WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Don't cross over to the dark side Glen. To bad you couldn't try out my buddies 300 GasGas, you wouldn't even consider going to those heavy pigs. The GasGas has tons of power down low , handles better than a KTM and it has better suspension.
Claude

onthemain
Writer
Writer

two or 4

Post by onthemain »

]Yes the big thumpers are stable at speed lots of rotation mass but for every positive there is a negative .it makes them much harder to ride in the tight single track. I have been riding with all the top cc riders for many many years and at one time or another they all had big thumpers and when they rode these it made them slow enough that I could hang with them in the single track .I am not a four stroke basher I have a crf250x and love it I just know that all those guys are way faster on two strokes but speed is not every thing Right :excuse: [/b]

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Of coarse 4 strokes are better on fire roads, they carry more weight which acts as a suspension dampener at high speeds. next time try a xr 650, at high speeds you will feel next to nothing, but it takes a gorilla to bush bash it. Baja 500's are won on xr 650's. Concider the type of riding you spend most of your time at or what type of handling characteristics you prefer, or what type of power delivery you prefer, then make a decision and you end up with an imperfect bike; at least for the next time you go riding!? If I made up my mind on a test ride a koocanusa, I would probably own a crf 450, livingstone 200 exc. good luck!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

The two characteristics that got me thinking was how well the suspension seemed to work, it just instilled confidence as did the stability of the bike. It would be nice to ride some different terrains and trail types back to back with my bike, a new 450cc 4 stroke and a new 300cc 2 stroke... :banana: Alas, I do not anticipate any of the manufacturers lining up to help me decide which bike would be better for me by donating a test ride or two ... :excuse:

I believe I told Dobi the other day how happy I was with my current ride and I wouldn't consider another bike till the current one dies. The 250EXC does everything I needed it to do. I guess with my huge lack of experience I don't know what other bikes are like or how they can be better or worse than what I am used to.

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Dakota_c69 wrote:The two characteristics that got me thinking was how well the suspension seemed to work, it just instilled confidence as did the stability of the bike. It would be nice to ride some different terrains and trail types back to back with my bike, a new 450cc 4 stroke and a new 300cc 2 stroke... :banana: Alas, I do not anticipate any of the manufacturers lining up to help me decide which bike would be better for me by donating a test ride or two ... :excuse:

I believe I told Dobi the other day how happy I was with my current ride and I wouldn't consider another bike till the current one dies. The 250EXC does everything I needed it to do. I guess with my huge lack of experience I don't know what other bikes are like or how they can be better or worse than what I am used to.

Glenn.
Anytime you are in doubt about how sweet that ride of yours is come over and try my 250SX again in the tight stuff and you will remember just how nice that EXC really is :blah: As a matter of fact let's go out riding Sunday and swap for a few hours, for the sake of testing of course :devil:

onthemain
Writer
Writer

dirt rider mag put it best

Post by onthemain »

With all the hoopla over the lower center of gravity, we must talk about turning. Changing course was never a WR strong suit, You must still overcome the gyroscopic effect of 449cc's worth of rotating mass, so in the really twisty areas the big-bore can be a handful[/b]

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Glenn's a big, strong guy. He can hold onto a handful ( of Alexander Keith's). LOL, sorry Glenn, just jazzin ya'. WR Dave. :cheers: :cheers:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Aw Gee Dave, look at you with all the compliments....they were compliments, right??? :buttkick: Speaking of Alexander Keith's, I'll have to carry a few handfuls over to your place along with some new bearings too, if I ever get some time!

I just can't see how the YZ450 can be as easy to toss around in the woods as the 2 stroke, but I didn't seem to notice the weight at all on the ride the other day. Didn't mind the engine braking either, didn't even notice it actually. Both 450s also had Fastaway pegs on them, those things are GREAT!!!

I think I like your idea too Cladoo, just gotta find a volunteer to had over their GG300 for a 'test' ride! :banana:

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W