Valve School Anybody?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Geolander
User
User

Valve School Anybody?

Post by Geolander »

I want to handle my own maintnance as much as possible. I'd like to be able to check and adjust my valves as often as I want, without booking an appointment. If anybody has the time and desire to teach a green rider the ropes on valves, I would be a happy student. I'd even pay you to show me! (Cash or beer :cheers: , tell me your price and I'll see if I can swing it) I'd be looking for either an actual technician, or just somebody who really feels confident in their ability. I'll need to learn what tools/hardware I will need and the proper procedures of checking and adjusting. I've never opened a motor before. BTW - I ride a CRF250X, if that matters. If you let me know what I need for tools, and hardware I will pick it up from the shop so its ready to go when I find a mentor.

I know there are alot of threads out there that have pictures, and are step by step, etc. But I think it would be great to learn by doing. Thanks!

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Valve School Anybody?

Post by cedric »

It's not really that hard to do. It's easier to check than to adjust. This little video should give you a pretty good idea of what you are in for. The example is a Kawasaki, you will only have one cam vs. the two cams here, but otherwise it should be much the same. You will not have to remove the engine, they just did it in the video for clarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEW-P7yGtAk

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

Great videos. I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Thank you!