WR250F or WR450F... Can't Decide

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Geolander
User
User

WR250F or WR450F... Can't Decide

Post by Geolander »

I'm planning to buy a new bike and I'm going to ask for some advice from the people on this forum who have been in the scene longer than me. My riding history includes 2 years riding dual sport on a KTM 640 Adventure, and sticking mainly to dirt roads, followed by about 2 months on a YZ450F off road. My problem is that the YZ450 is too powerful to be fun for my experience and size. I am about 165 lbs, and 5'10'', and like to go semi-fast, and am looking to progress my riding. But I am really a beginner, so less might be more... Do you think I'd be happier with the WR250F or the WR450F, and why? My only concern with the 250 is hill climbing power. I don't want to have to rush at/up every hill, but maybe the 250 is capable enough??? I don't know??? I like the idea of using the 250 in tight places where the 450 could get tiring. Most of my riding will be done at McLean Creek or similar locations. Your advice will be appreciated.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: WR250F or WR450F... Can't Decide

Post by steve-o »

I don't know anything about yamaha's other than they are Blue. If the 450 motocrosser was too much power for you then the wr will likely be too. I think they are pretty much the same motor, but obviously the wr has a way different trani.

I DO know that even chicks can make it up the steepest of hills at McLean on a KTM 250xcf, so if a Yamaha 250f is even close in power to a KTM it would likelt suit your needs.

IMHO you should by a KTM 300. It'll totally suit your lugging around needs for now and as your skill progresses you'll have ALL the bike you'll ever need.

Good luck.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Geolander wrote: I am about 165 lbs, and 5'10''
wr450 nope,wr250...umm still heavy but better, you said you were a beginner. Get something you can move around easier (ie pick up), maybe a 250 2stroke (yz,xcw)

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

Good info so far. Thanks! A question I have on the KTM 300 is the ease/expense of adding lighting. I really want to comply with trail laws so I am looking for something with a headlight/tailight and a spark arrestor. I don't want a 250 two stroke because I am looking for lots of low-end power to lug around with. I'm not interested in riding to suit the bike's power band. The 300 might be a good option ,but I need to figure out what I'd need to do to make it trail legal. Is the 300 expensive/time consuming to maintain?

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Geolander wrote:Good info so far. Thanks! A question I have on the KTM 300 is the ease/expense of adding lighting. I really want to comply with trail laws so I am looking for something with a headlight/tailight and a spark arrestor. I don't want a 250 two stroke because I am looking for lots of low-end power to lug around with. I'm not interested in riding to suit the bike's power band. The 300 might be a good option ,but I need to figure out what I'd need to do to make it trail legal. Is the 300 expensive/time consuming to maintain?
Rrear light (LED) from Cycle works - $25 bucks, front light (55W halogen) from princess auto - 15 bucks (and way better than all the other stuff you can buy for alot more. I believe the 08-09 xcw come with bike already wired for the lights so you are golden there. (Maybe some one with an 08-09 can chime in here) Spark arrestor - only 4 strokes throw all those nasty sparks and flames, besides SRD has never checked me for a spark arrestor (I also never seem to stick around to have a chat wioth them either :smirk: )

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

How about a 2008 KTM 250 XC??? Will it lug like the 300? If I can find a new 2008 300 for a fair price, I might do that instead of the WR. I am likely going to buy this weekend, so if anybody knows where I could get a good end of season deal on a 300 that would be great!! :thinking:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Geolander wrote:How about a 2008 KTM 250 XC??? Will it lug like the 300?
NO,

But the 250's sure have thier following. I'm sure a few of the 250 owners will chime in now too.

Just get the 300. If one is already spending X amount, what's another couple hundred bucks?

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

If one is already spending X amount, what's another couple hundred bucks?[/quote]

I am pretty set on either the KTM 300 or a WR250F

The KTM can be lugged, has 2 stroke repairability, would need a light kit, may be pricey to buy.

The yammie comes with lights, and e-start, smooth power delivery, cheap to buy when compared to the KTM, 4 stroke reliability.

I still can't decide.... But I have pretty much ruled out the WR450F. I guess it will depend on what is remaining for 2008 stock at the local shops and how much they are willing to deal.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

My first bike after a long time away from riding was the 01 wr250f I cannot begin to describe the hours of "all-teeth" riding I had on it, the '08 will be a million times better. For the single track at Mclean it is an awesome machine, It will be far easier to get a nice fast flow going than any 2t or big 4t. If your like me after a couple of yrs youll push the suspension beyond its limits, but would have the same problem on the wr450 as well. You are right, the 250f will struggle on some of the bigger hills, but Ive seen Dirtyboy do widowmaker on one, and as for single track hills the only ones you wont make it up are the nutso hills the pros do. I guess what I am saying is that If you cant do something on the 250f mostlikely you wont do it on an orange 300, and you will stay away from that nasty viral-like infection that western dirtbikers seem to be catching lately!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

thirtyseven wrote:If you cant do something on the 250f mostlikely you wont do it on an orange 300, and you will stay away from that nasty viral-like infection that western dirtbikers seem to be catching lately!
That is a very good point. Its hard to find good bike reviews on the web because they are written by pros or really advanced riders. When they say that the power isn't what they are used to, that dosen't necessarily mean it won't rip in my opinion. After doing some research tonight, and with the help of you folks here on RMDRA I have 99% decided on the WR250F. I has all the bells and whisles I feel that I need, it is light enough, powerful enough, and the price is OK.

I'll post a picture when I get it home...

Thanks to eveybody that replied, I hope to see you on the trails some day! :cheers:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I have recently decided to let people buy what ever they want without my opinion being heard. IF you do pick up the WR250F, I do have some advice for you. Before you take it anywhere, strip it down and grease everything properly and then do all the free mods that can be done. If you ride it in it's stock showroom condition you will be disappointed. Opened up it is a great bike that likes to be ridden more like a two stroke than a four. Good Luck with your decision -- WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

thirtyseven wrote: I guess what I am saying is that If you cant do something on the 250f mostlikely you wont do it on an orange 300, and you will stay away from that nasty viral-like infection that western dirtbikers seem to be catching lately!
Oh what a skued point of view. Team Blue here perhaps :thinking: :smirk:

One thing to keep in mind was also mentioned by Wr_Dave. Double check the PDI on what ever you get.

One other thing that no one else mentioned here is that a KTM is more expensive because of all the goodies that come with it in stock trim form. Fat Bars, O-Ring chain, Brembo brakes, hydralic clutch, Twin Air air filter and other things that don't come to mind right now. Oh yah, I think that on the 2T the pipes are made by or very closely modeled aftet the FMF brand Gnarly. Anyway, these things all add up and if added to the cost of a Jap bike the prices start to get a little closer.

This is only in my opinion - A new 300 only needs the jetting changed (literally 10-15 minutes) and you are good to go. Now witht rainy day switch you can really control the power on those things too.

I'm not exactly too sure what "all the mods" (as quoted by Wr_Dave) means? (In regards to setting up a wr250f) Is that alot or a little? Maybe if you get a wr 250f Wr_Dave can help you out here.

good luck with your choices.

Geolander
User
User

Post by Geolander »

The guy that I have been dealing with on the WR250F is pushing me towards the WR450F and has thus rekindled my curiosity in the bigger bike... I have heard that the WRs need to be "uncorked" or they lack decent performance, and I will have that done before I take it home. I'm happy that a Yamaha guy (WR Dave) is giving me his opinion here, to contrast the KTM riders. I love KTMs (really loved my 640 Adv), but I have had a couple yamahas and can't complain about their slightly less intense maintnance schedule and cost. WR Dave, I know that you say that you don't give your opinion on bikes, but do you have a personal preference between the 250 and 450 WR yamahas?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

The WR250 is a nice bike. I have ridden both the 250 and the 450. I weigh in at around 230lbs and the 250 can pull me along just fine. The 250 will not wear you out as fast on a long ride. The 450 may get you to the top a little faster but the majority of the time you will not be using all the power anyway. The 250 feels way lighter than the 450 in the bush and even more so when it is laying on its side!

There is a big surge of guys going back to the 2-strokes (me potentially being one of them) but if you are comfortable with the maintenance schedule of a 4 stroke than the advantages/disadvantages outweigh themselves.

Take your experience on your 640 into consideration. Yeah, its not as fast as a hayabusa but it still got you to the store with a smile on your face and you never had to worry about the scary factor of having too much power with a slight flick of the wrist.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I rode and raced the WR250f for 5 years. I have been on a KTM 250 2T in the last 3 years.

IMO, the WR450f is too much power and feels heavy when riding it. I've ridden a few in the last year too.

The WR250f is a great bike that is very reliable and feels quite light when riding. The extra weight (compared to a 2T) makes the suspension work really well providing a smooth ride yet it is quite nimble in the trees and can hold a line like it is a razor blade.

The KTM 250 is very light but sometimes too light because it likes to jump around on the trail and favors a rider who is consistently on the throttle and can carry speed over obstacles. Some have ridden my 250XC and said it felt too slow. I don't think that the throttle was turned far enough in these instances. I can keep with a 450 or 300 up most hills if my skills are in tune that day.

I've ridden many many KTM 300 bikes (they weigh exactly the same as a 250) and I really like them but I always short shift them and get into trouble on hills because I'm in too high a gear. I also have trouble keeping the front wheel down (on a 450 too). I don't have the skill to ride a 300 on the pipe (even for a second) so for me the 300 is too much motor.

With any new bike, I always do a lot of work up front before I ride it. I often find that the oil levels in the forks incorrect, valves adjusted on the tightest side of the range (they get tighter with use so setting them up on the looser side allows for less maintenance), little or no grease in bearings and with the Yamaha some "uncorking" to do.

IMO, buy the Yamaha and with the money that you save you can get the suspension setup correctly for your weight, speed and skill level. This would probably need to be done on either bike. :D