Rear Shock/Swingarm/Linkage question

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Rear Shock/Swingarm/Linkage question

Post by MtnBlue »

Starting to get some slop at the top of the stroke(ie if I pick the bike up by the side panel i get a "clank" sound at the top of the stroke) I would assume it would be shock bearing, but should I also be looking at swingarm and linkage. Get it all done at once?? :excuse:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I usually take everything apart and check and regrease it every 6-8 rides, but after the Noah's ark type of year this is I have done it every month. I know it's overkill but I haven't had to buy anything but a lower shock bushing( knock wooden head). Grease and labor(my own) are cheap compared to new set of bearings. It's a good idea to check it all over is what I'm saying. WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I agree with WR_Dave, however in the past I have only had to replace the bottom shock bearing. Let the condition of everything when you remove and clean determine what you need. :cheers:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

WR_Dave wrote:I usually take everything apart and check and regrease it every 6-8 rides, but after the Noah's ark type of year this is I have done it every month. I know it's overkill but I haven't had to buy anything but a lower shock bushing( knock wooden head). Grease and labor(my own) are cheap compared to new set of bearings. It's a good idea to check it all over is what I'm saying. WR Dave.
You're assuming I have the tools, a place to work on the bike, and the skill to actually take it apart :blush: :lol:

I would consider myself a beginner when it comes to bike maintenance/mechanics. I can do the basic stuff, oil, air filter, change brake pads, change tires, wheel bearings(just did those), but that's about it. I don't neglect my bike, but I know I could do more on my own, just not that confident with the tools(and my knowledge :( ). I like working on it, so I guess I better learn soon........beats paying a shop $80 bucks an hour

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MtnBlue,

When you take the linkage apart, and start working on the bearings in each piece be prepared for the needle bearings to fall out. Just work on a table over a clean rag and when removing the bearing collars be prepared. Most of the time you have to dig the needles (on the bearing that don't have obvious races) out to wash it out with solvent. I use gas.

When putting it all back together use lot's of grease to lube but also to hold the needles in place during reassembly. If you see any rust, you will have to replace that bearing.

It's not very hard but you need the time to do it. I still can't believe that WR_Dave did it 6 or 8 times this year. :eek:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I just did it for the fifith time last night( I didn't do all the snow riding that you guys did), and I checked my valves too. All good and ready too rip. WR Dave.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

Wow, that is more ambition to work on the bike then I have. I have greased mine twice in the last three years. Although apparently that was not enough as I just had to replace all the linkage bearings and swing arm bearings.

I also bought the pivot works kit for the shock bearing it comes with the bearings, seals and bushings. I got no need for it now so if you want I am willing to sell it. Make things fast and easy for you.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Hey Big D, that sucks that all your bearings crapped. That's why I overdo the service, plus I'm a mechanic by trade and can't stand to have a POS on my property. I wrench during the week so I can ride on the weekend. The swingarm service only takes a few hours to do if there are beers :cheers: involved and about 1 hour if I'm out :banghead: :crybaby: :excuse: . LOL WR Dave.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

Has anybody put grease zerks in? I belive the KDX still comes with them.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I put them in on the underside of the swingarm on both sides. I didn't think there was enough meat in the aluminum on the rest of the suspension parts(paranoid I guess) I still pull it all apart everytime anyways. WR Dave.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

So Dave, if I bring beers (quality stuff too, no Pil!) and some new Pivot Works kits for front, rear and swingarm bearings, you think you can 'guide' me through the process?!?!? :cheers:

BigD, Where you getting the Pivot Works kits from and how much??

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Let me know when you need it done? Will work for beer!!!! WR Dave.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

WR_Dave wrote:can't stand to have a POS on my property.
I guess being a broke student you just get use to it. :bonk:
Dakota_c69 wrote: BigD, Where you getting the Pivot Works kits from and how much??
Glenn.
I got them from Rock Central Cycle don’t remember how much. You planning to do the shock bearings or the swingarm bearings or both? I have seen lots of shock bearings go but not any swingarm bearings.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Hey Big D , I went through the broke student phase of my life already so that's how I know that I don't want junk to ride anymore ( rode a $120.00 RM 250 for 4 years). No disrespect intended for anyone in that position, I haven't forgotten that at least you can stilll go ride. WR Dave.