Hand Warmers

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
kroeker 999

Hand Warmers

Post by kroeker 999 »

Hey Everybody,

I have a 2004 KTM MXC and I bought hand Polaris handwarmers. They worked good, so good in fact that I can only keep them on low for about thirty seconds before they almost scald my hands. I hooked the power cord to the free floating white connector on the bike...should I have maybe chosen the yellow instead??? If any of you know, please post a reply.

Darren

ps. check out my big bannana :banana:

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

Hey dude,talk to brent, i gave him the info to hook up your grip heaters properly :crazy:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

rooster wrote:Hey dude,talk to brent, i gave him the info to hook up your grip heaters properly :crazy:
Rooster told me that the hand warmers are way too hot when the hand warmers are connected directly to the stator output.

The hand warmers need to be connected after the voltage regulator so that the hand warmers only get 12v and operate correctly. :cheers:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Amen Brother! I did the same thing! smoke and melting plastic all over! :mad: Too much juice is not a good thing, use the wire from the voltage regulator!!

darren
Writer
Writer

Re: Hand Warmers

Post by darren »

[quote="kroeker 999"]Hey Everybody,

I have a 2004 KTM MXC and I bought hand Polaris handwarmers. They worked good, so good in fact that I can only keep them on low for about thirty seconds before they almost scald my hands. I hooked the power cord to the free floating white connector on the bike...should I have maybe chosen the yellow instead??? If any of you know, please post a reply.

Darren

my big :banana: is gonna :buttkick: and then :bonk: and make you :crybaby: hahahaha
2008 KTM 300 XCW

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

Hey MotorEd...what kind of bike do you have and what did you do??? Give me a little more detail. I basically ran the power wire from the warmers to the white wire and then connected the ground to the frame. My bro Brent said that I should get a 10v resistor to put on there...any ideas???

Darren
2008 KTM 300 XCW

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

With my warmers kit came a resistor that doesn't seem to work. I will try the voltage regulator. I think our bikes mxc's and exc's both have built in regulators. motorEd did you hook up to the built in voltage regulator???? :banghead: :banghead: :excuse:
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

hey Hulk and brother hulk,

I'm on the 300 EXC, so I took the wire that was going to my front light and plugged it into the hand warmer switch. the grips get warm, but not that warm...have only tested at idle...havent gone for a rip with them yet.

The wire that was feeding the front light is coming from the voltage regulator on the bike. I fried my wires when I took the main power wire, by-passing the bikes voltage regulator and hooked it directly to the hand warmer switch....not a good idea....thats when I got the smoke ect ect.

You guys should ask Dean what he did...I think his warmers are working fine.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Grip Warmers on a Yamaha

Post by dirtyboy »

OK, I just got my grips intalled over the heater elements. I got the cheapo kit that has a 10w resistor and a switch that says Hi and Low. I'm going to hook it up to the headlight wires (the headlight on a Yamaha WR is 12 - 14 AC volts) unless someone has any other ideas.

Any other ideas? :confused: