Clutch basket help

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Spud
User
User

Clutch basket help

Post by Spud »

SO I received my Rekluse (thanks Rotaory).

Last night, washed my bike so I could do the install, noticed when pushing my bike around in gear, way to much clutch drag........OH OH. rip of the cover, pulll the plates, 2-3 fibers under spec, steels not sure beacuse what I measure is no way close to book limits, but they look good and no real wear.

NOW the basket definetly has some ridges???????? not real bad ...but some :banghead:

I have filed down the ridges off a basket along time ago, (cr500) but not really sure If I want to do it to this 04CRF. Im kinda thinking just a new clutch pack will sit on set of the basket ridges, And I wont have to repalce it.....

bike dosnt have many hours on it, but I do use the clutch hard.

Anyways, I dont want to put this rekluse in with a bad basket, and then never be able to get it to work right.

Comments...........?????????

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

look in your owners manual and see if there are any specs for play bewteen the fibre plate tangs and the basket-if there are none then I would decide from the amount of grooving (how deep,and how much filing is needed) if it could be used- If you are not sure it is always better to be safe than sorry-
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I had grooves in my basket too and did not file them down when I installed the Rekluse. The Rekluse would not work quite right it would drag well I was stopped and would make the bike want to crawl. I took it apart and filed a little off works perfect now. It did not take that much to clean it up and the plates are still pretty tight in there so not to worried about it. If they are really deep then you might want to look in to a Hinson clutch basket.

Spud
User
User

Post by Spud »

Im realized im to picky to file them out. So I bought a hinson basket and a new barnett clutch pack. Beter run $1000.00 better :crybaby:

UPDATE:........found out that barnett plates suck, and Hinson advises not to put them (kevlar plates ) in with their baskett :banghead:

anybody driving by Edson I need some OEM plates :bonk:

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

Spud,

I can get you tusk steel plates......40$ US + shipping or
EBC for 105$ plus shipping or
Hinson for 160$ plus shipping Do you have any other prices?

Spud
User
User

Post by Spud »

DIRTTV wrote:Spud,

I can get you tusk steel plates......40$ US + shipping or
EBC for 105$ plus shipping or
Hinson for 160$ plus shipping Do you have any other prices?
Thanks for the offer
good prices but I already got all the stuff from my dealer, except the OEM fiber plates, (which I just got back frompicking them up at riverside in st Albert)"

I paid $13 a plate
$255 for the hinson,
The rekluse has the steels in there

for comparison the Barnett was $149. complete fibers& steels amd springs

thanks

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

spud,

Let us know how the Rekluse is doing?

Rekluse recommends using the Honda fiber plates and that is what I use in my Yamaha. They suggest the CRF250F plates or CR125 plates. I've been using the CR125 plates in mine with really good success.

I did find that the installed gap was critical and I wasn't good at measuring it at first (too loose). When I get the 2 feeler guages in there I push in on the outside plate and release to see if the feeler guages move at all. If they do, I've got it too loose.

Hope it's working out for you. The Rekluse clutch is a great product that is in more bikes around here than I would have thought a year ago.

:cheers: