rekluse or not to rekluse, that is the question...

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

rekluse or not to rekluse, that is the question...

Post by Rackman »

Hello experts of opinions,

I need a list of the pros and cons for and against getting a rekluse clutch on a 530 XCW, i rode a 250 4/t with one and it seemed great.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks,
Jamie

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I liked it on my 250 4/t but removed it from my 250 2/t

I think the 4T bikes work better with it.

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

I've been thinking about the same for my WR....jury is still out on whether or not to spend the bucks.
By the way...congrats on the new wheels. I've been up to Cycle Works a couple of times druling over the 530 and the 450. Thinking alot about them in the Dual Sport version too. :devil: The wife 'll kill me....but what the heck. It keeps me out of trouble. :D
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

You might want to talk to Big R, he's run Rekluse clutches on a few bikes. Personally, I don't like them at all but I agree with Dirtyboy, they do seem to work better on thumpers.

Hammer, I was also looking over the 530 D/S bikes but 10K is too much for me right now. The Trick Dual Sport kit for your WR is cheaper, or buy a bike just to D/S. There are a few converted XR's around for cheap right now.
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Removed
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Heres my .02

I have had a Rekluse in my 300's for a couple years now. I have only been riding for 3.5 years. I love the Rekluse. It allowed me to get up the learning curve with a bit quicker I think. Less frustration with stalling, better able to focus on picking good lines. The rekluse shines in the tight technical stuff, less tired from working the clutch yourself. Get the gap set correct and go (the heavier TC balls are a nice add-on for better snap) You will have no prob lofting the front wheel with that beast, even in a gear high...or 2!

Downside to the Rekluse, although it helped me with some hill climbing initially I dont think you can beat a manual clutch when it comes to technical hill climbs. Hands down learning to use the manual clutch will make you a superior rider...look at the top enduro riders, Taddy, Knighter ect they are all trials champs....a great way to improve the clutch/throttle control aspect of riding. You will overheat your bike if you slip the clutch too much...yeah goes without saying, but its easy to ride a gear high with the Rekluse and slip the clutch too much.

The Rekluse is great, you have to know the good and bad, but to me the pluses out weigh the negs no question. The bike becomes so easy to ride its almost silly.

Oh, I also have the LHB....its the main reason I keep the Rekluse on my bike. LHB is awesome....old school guys cant buy the idea, but the mtnbiker in me loves it.

Good Luck with your choice.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i wish i had a left hand brake :(
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I have heard that you can use the LHB sort of like a clutch to control wheelying and wheel spin when climbing up steep hills.

:cheers:

BigR
Writer
Writer

Post by BigR »

I agree with MotorEd on his points with the Rekluse. On tough hill climbs and some tough technical trails you have to have great throttle control with the auto clutch to stay out of trouble, but these are the real tough spots where you also have to have great clutch control without. I have a Rekluse on my 450 that I race and a standard clutch on my Husaberg and although I can ride the 450 faster on single track the standard clutch on the Husaberg works great on hill climbs and tough spots.
I also have a LHB on the 450 and like MotorEd is the reason I keep the Rekluse. I haven't had much luck using the LHB going up hills as Dirtyboy suggests, but it is almost a necessity if you don't make a hill climb as the bike will free wheel backwards making for some interesting moments.
They take a bit to get used to so it may be hard to tell from a short ride if it would work for you but I think most riders that have them are happy, especially on the big bore thumpers.
I have no enlightening quips

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

That’s lots of great info guys,

1 - I understand that the pro clutch enables you to slip the clutch still for those tough hill climbs is this true? Or even needed?

2 - Does it create less heat than a normal clutch based on less slipping?

... I can see where the LHB would be important on backing the bike down a failed attempt on a big hill.

Thanks Guys

BradC
Writer
Writer

Auto Clutch...

Post by BradC »

Jamie;

I too have given thought to buying an auto clutch.

However.... (and this is a big one)

I've been involved in 3 other sports in my life at an elite level (for two of the sports I was ranked in the top ten in Canada), and the single most common mantra pounded into me in all my training was technique, technique, technique.

You're a good rider already, who in my opinion has all of the skill and the right technique. You maybe just don't have the opportunity to get out on the bike as much as you like.

IMHO I'd suggest that you save the money and not worry about the rekluse.

Brad

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Auto Clutch...

Post by Rackman »

BradC wrote: You're a good rider already, who in my opinion has all of the skill and the right technique. You maybe just don't have the opportunity to get out on the bike as much as you like.

IMHO I'd suggest that you save the money and not worry about the rekluse.

Brad
Well thanks for making my head swell, I appreciate the kind words. I know that the $$$ would be better spent at the gym getting in shape, but I like trying different things and the rekluse has caught my attention. I guess that part of the reason that I went with the 530 is that I am getting a little lazy and even though it will tire me out if not road properly it will also yank my fat a$$ up some of the ugly hills with a little less effort. So I guess I am up on the fences still with this decision.

Thanks for all of your input, it is all good advice.

Jamie

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rackman,

I liked the 525 better to ride than the 450. I found the 525 smoother and more controllable. The 450 felt like it had too much power for my liking.
Well thanks for making my head swell
Good job your helmet wasn't on at the time. It could have been ugly. :D

When I had my WR with the Rekluse I was riding along a ridge trail. I think it was winter. I remember saying to myself, don't look down there! So I looked down to see what was there. There might have been some wildlife or something, right? Off I go. Over the edge. Slide down about 100 feet. Once I stop I dust myself off and scramble up the hill. My bike is lying on it's side, not quite horizontal and it's still running. I just lifted it up, swung a leg over and twisted the throttle.

It saves energy but it has to be tuned right for your bike IMHO.

I wish BigR would take it out of his 450. At least when we race in the same class. :devil:

BradC
Writer
Writer

Hah!

Post by BradC »

So Jamie;

What I'm reading between the lines in your email is that you've almost convinced yourself to buy the rekluse, and are now going through the "justification" process of spending the money.

It's fun watching other people do this for a change! :applause:

Mr. Rackman, your new 530 will tractor you up pretty much anything, and do so without you hardly touching the clutch!!! We're about the same size (I'm 230lbs) and my 300 gets me into plenty of trouble!

However...

I've seen pictures of your garage: BLING!
I've seen pictures of your truck: BLING!

Why should your KTM be any different? :excuse:

Have a good New Year!

Brad.

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hah!

Post by Rackman »

BradC wrote: What I'm reading between the lines in your email is that you've almost convinced yourself to buy the rekluse, and are now going through the "justification" process of spending the money.
Sounds like you know me too well, now if some of you could help convince my wife! Maybe list a couple of safety issues… or not... with my life insurance maybe I should play the danger card.

"Dirtyboy" quote
Good job your helmet wasn't on at the time. It could have been ugly.

And as for head swelling I’ve got a special helmet just for that, My last Shoei only lasted 3 rides… it did its job but it is a little bit bigger inside! :cripple:

Happy new year all! :cheers: