Chainsaw carrier.....Version 2.0

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Chainsaw carrier.....Version 2.0

Post by WRocks »

As mentioned in my last posting, here are some pictures of my new (and I'd say improved) chainsaw carrier. I made one for my bike about a month ago and just finshed one for Greg Schaff and Dylan Cartwright. This is much nicer design than the rear mounted version. I find it easier to take the saw on and off the bike , as it only needs one strap & you don't need the carrying case. It does not get in the way when down hilling, which was a huge drawback to the old design. Obviously, steering is more sluggish, but found I could ride basically anywhere I wanted (at a decent pace too) and hill climbing was a breeze...lol, you just have to be carefull when doing wheelie's over logs. These are also much easier to build, I've got it down to about 3 hours now and uses less material over the old design.

Personally, I really like the arborist saws for trail clearing, they have a top mounted throttle handle. These are light weight (under 10 lbs) compact, easy to carry and balance nicely in one hand. I should also note they are easy to use one handed, but be careful when doing that, as it is not recommended.

Here are some models and approximate prices
Echo 330-T (32cc, $350)
Echo 360-T (36cc, $400) I have this one & figured the extra $50 was worth it for another 4 cc's
Stihl MS-192T (30cc, $350) I beileve Greg has this one
Stihl MS-200T (35cc, not sure?)
Husqvarna has a few, but these are more expensive I think.

A regular saw would work fine as well, but being mounted on the front, I'd recommend that it be no more than 10 lbs dry weight. If buying a new saw, be sure to get an extra cutting chain, spark plug and sharpening kit, these are easy to carry with and could save a breakdown out on the trails. Lastly, keep the chain SHARP!! they cut much easier, use less fuel and is much safer than a dull one. I re-dress the chain every 2-3 tanks of fuel.

There's still a lot of trail clearing work to do at Maclean, so I'll put it out there to any one who's serious about doing more this winter and next year. I'll build one of these for anyone who's interested for $100 material included (but unpainted). I hope that's not too expensive, but $30/hr for shoptime and material is not too bad and I'll re-weld it for free if it ever breaks. To make sure I get a good fit I'll need your bike and saw for a day or two (schedules permitting). The only thing I ask is that your bike and saw be fairly new, light weight (under 10 lbs dry) and a good brand such as Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna only, (not a Poulan, Homelite, ect.) I don't want to go though the work of making one of these for a saw that you can't get parts for and is basically disposable.

If interested feel free to drop me a note on messaging here, or by email aaronbauer2000@hotmail.com

Happy trails...
Aaron
Attachments
My bike with an Echo 360-T
Greg's bike with a Stihl MS-192T
picture of the bracket if you are inclined to build one yourself... (This one is for Dylan)
picture of the bracket if you are inclined to build one yourself... (This one is for Dylan)
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Hey Aaron - good work! Can you post a picture of the carrier on the bike without the saw in place? Thanks! :D
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

looks like quick access, maybe even while the bike is idling, you could pull the saw out and trim. awesome.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

That is awesome!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Derek,
I would post some more pictures, but apperantly the posting limit for attachements is 1MB, so there isn't room for more.
If you're comming to the next RMDRA meeting, I'll bring my bracket with, or I can email them to you is you give me you address.
Cheers,
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

WRocks wrote:Derek,
I would post some more pictures, but apperantly the posting limit for attachements is 1MB,
Let's just see about that.....

WRocks wasn't set up correctly. Sorry about that. I have fixed that up and would really be curious if the limit is changed. I expect the limit to be 55Mb.

So RMDRA Members, the limit should be 55Mb and non-members should be 1Mb.

Please let me know if your limit has changed.

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Thanks, now that I have the extra upload room, here's the pictures requested.
I have put some rubber padding on them to keep the saw from being damaged by the metal, so doesn't show how the bracket is made very clearly.
Attachments
Yam3.JPG
KTM3.JPG
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Hello Aaron,
We met at the meeting last night, and I was further impressed with the way the RMDRA conducts its self and the hard work everyone has put into land access issues. I have signed up this morning and would be glad to help you with what ever you can find for me .
I will be returning to my home town soon and will bring back may saw, as now I have a need for it again, and would like to get set up with one of your rigs. They look like they would work pretty slick.

cheers, :cheers:
Calvin

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

Not to be a naysayer, because that looks like a sweet rig, but doesn't it technically make the bike illegal because there's no headlight?

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

I'll gladly hook any one up with carrier, if they volunteer for the trail comittee and give me a hand to make it and possibly stock a few beers in the fridge...
Just PM me and we'll arrange a time to do it.
However, I'm stiill adamant that the saw meet the criteria I specified in the posting above. It's need to be light and a good make (Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna).

As far as the headlight goes, I see being able to carry a saw convieniently and SAFELY outweighs the issue of riding without a headlight (my opinon only).
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

WRocks wrote:I'll gladly hook any one up with carrier, if they volunteer for the trail comittee and give me a hand to make it and possibly stock a few beers in the fridge...
Just PM me and we'll arrange a time to do it.
However, I'm stiill adamant that the saw meet the criteria I specified in the posting above. It's need to be light and a good make (Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna).

As far as the headlight goes, I see being able to carry a saw convieniently and SAFELY outweighs the issue of riding without a headlight (my opinon only).
there are still lots of guys getting away with a handlebar mounted light from a mountain bike. Just keep one in your pack for those days you need the saw.

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Chainsaw carrier.....Version 2.0

Post by Waxy »

Well, I finally bought myself a chainsaw. It's a Stihl MS260 Arctic Pro edition. Came across it used but in great condition and at a good price.

WRocks, if you'll forgive my comment, and if the saw fits your profile (not sure, it might be a little heavy?), I wouldn't mind getting a carrier fabbed up for it. Unfortunately, I won't get my hands on it until the end of June. I'm not sure if you can fab the rack without it or the bike. I ride an '07 KTM 400 XCW (EXC basically, I have it dual sported).

If not, I'll get a hold of you when I get a hold of the saw.

Thanks,

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado