Dirtshark Winters

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

Ok, thanks for the info.

5/8 in the front? Well, if I try that I think I will run a little extra slime. Does anyone know when slime freezes?

Everyone else that I have talked with says that the screw won't last in a tire for very long, so these Dirt shark tires must be some sort of exception to the rule. Are you running any glue?
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I made up a pair on the cheap. Two new dirt sharks and some sheet metal screws from Home Depot. I used 3/4 in the rear and 5/8 in the front. They dimple the inside of the tire a bit, but I didn't have any protruding points. I made sure to get the screws with regular screw tips rather than the drill bit type tips. I put one in each knob on the rear, one in every other knob on the front. I tried them out yesterday, seemed to work pretty well, I could ride on glare ice without worry of falling down. It didn't offer wheelie type traction on the ice, but they are meant for mixed terrain, rather than just ice. I rode on lots of dirt yesterday, as there is not much snow left out there. They dulled somewhat, but I think they will last for the handful of winter rides I plan on doing. I don't think I lost one of the screws, need to check carefully.

I think if I was to do it again, I would order some Kold Kutter screws, as they have taller heads and are probably harder steel, and barely cost any more. All together, I think I spent about $115 and I was out riding in the winter. :banana:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The Maverick ice screws have taller heads so they are highly recommended and work really well in the deep snow. I'm sure they are on par or cheaper than the Kold Kutters.

:cheers:

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Dirtshark Winters

Post by GWsXR250R »

Hey guys,

Just got a set of tires set up with Kold Kutters for a wicked deal.

Wondering if anyone is riding these out on the trails or if they are strictly meant for Ice?

If I did ride trails would they even hold up?

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

GW

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Dirtshark Winters

Post by cerealkiller »

I've ridden with ice screws before with tires I found dirt cheap on Kijiji. It's not as good as studs on the trails. I would also lose a few screws every now and then.

I had fun, but you're not likely to keep up with someone running studs. You may, for example, find hills your buddy with studs can ascend that you and your screws cannot. Riding on trails is also likely to dull them such that they won't work great on ice anymore.

I would say it depends on whether you plan to use them for ice, if you're ok with slowly wrecking them and if you have a better option. Screws are still better than rubber.