Cartridge Forks

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Cartridge Forks

Post by thirtyseven »

Question for Denis, did you find the spring you needed to soften up the first 4 inches of travel on your bike? and can I get the name and number of the guy you sold your suspension business to. Mine has loosend up considerably since new, but unless you are charging hard it will still beat the *&^* out of you, and long sections of rocks or roots become tiresome. other than that the bike (05 yz 250) is perfect.

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

The pressure spring that I put in work great-A world of difference! Phone Chris @ Pro-Action West 685-9400 and tell him I sent you He"ll treat you good :applause:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Thanks alot, I need the bike as friendly as possible at low speeds (my usual pace!!!). It is the opposite of my WR, great fast, but rough slow. Thanks again.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I had really good results with removing the mid-valve now its nice and flush all the way through the stroke.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Q for BigD, did th bike stay stable at high speed or did it start to wallow around through whoops g-outs etc.?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

thirtyseven wrote:Q for BigD, did th bike stay stable at high speed or did it start to wallow around through whoops g-outs etc.?
BigD has an WR450 and I think you have a YZ250. The forks are different on those bikes. The YZ has the new
"fancy" forks that tries to keep the air and oil separate. Doesn't the YZ have the compression adjustment on the top and rebound on the bottom? The WR forks are the opposite, just like the older YZ forks.

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

Yeah I do have the WR so my springs are probably a little softer. Although I am sure the twin chamber still have the mid valve seeing as it is a motocross bike. I have not worked on a set but a twin chamber fork is nothing new same as the Honda and Suzuki.

At speed, it did not affect it but I am running a steering damper too. It makes the forks work so much better because you can use the majority of the stroke instead of using the first few inches. I did have to crank my compression back up a little, it will bottom out a little easier, but that is only if I am taking big jumps or jumping off 5' cliffs. The mid valve is designed for the motocross track so when landing from a big jump it will help slow down the stroke to reduce the bottoming out which I find quite unneeded in the bush.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I just wanted to make sure everyone was talking on the same level. Good stuff BigD. :cheers:

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

After 10 years of doing suspension proffesionally i may have some insight.On the mid 1990"s bikes the midvalve made the stroke a bit harsh partly due to smaller comp and rebound valves allowing less oil flow in general.When tuning the newer bikes you should leave them in unless you really don"t go that fast- the forks can blow right through the stroke on medium and high speed hits.On the 05 YZ models with the new forks the pressure spring controls the floating compression valve and needs to be a changed to a softer spring for bush riding,over small bumps this is crucial!. You also need to match the proper fork spring for your weight. Unless you weigh in well over 200 pounds you should have softer pressure springs!! :bonk: See Chris @ Pro-Action 685-9400 or just ask anyone I did Pro-Action suspension for in the last 10 years
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Yes, I talked to Chris and he suggested a slight revalve for the mid stroke as well, I am just afraid that will turn it into a wallowing pig, he said the stock springs with the softer pressure spring should do the trick. I am sold on the softer pressure spring, hopfully get it this weekend. Thanks for the input.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

thirtyseven wrote:Yes, I talked to Chris and he suggested a slight revalve for the mid stroke as well, I am just afraid that will turn it into a wallowing pig, he said the stock springs with the softer pressure spring should do the trick. I am sold on the softer pressure spring, hopfully get it this weekend. Thanks for the input.
Chris will make your forks work exactly the way you tell him you want them to. Tell him your speed and weight and the type of riding you do (and be honest).

Dennis did my first set of Pro-Action suspension and Chris has done 3 sets for me. I've been happy with every set I've had done by them.

You might also consider doing the shock as the oil that ships in the Yamaha isn't the greatest, the shock is broken in by now, and the nitrogen pressure always seems to be on the low side from the Factory. :cheers:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Thanks Ill do as the doctor orders!!!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Forks and Shock are finally in Chris' good hands. Cant wait to try them out when I get back from holidays. thanks for the advise all..

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Kudos to Chris at Pro Action, just had an hour on the bike and what a ride! Fantastic!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Good to hear the results thirtyseven. Good to see you Sunday. :canada: :canada: