Lights Please

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Lights Please

Post by Dobi »

I have an '03 250SX that I am trying to make legal with lights, etc? I have ordered a sweet LED rear tailight that bolts onto the fender, looks stock and runs for 100hrs on 2 AA batteries. I am trying to figure out my headlight though. I am either going to put an Acerbis light plate on their and hook it up to a battery to make it work for short bursts (inspections) or I have to find a way to get power out of this bike? Does anyone know if a stator from an EXC will bolt right on? If so, how much work is it and how much does it cost? Or does anyone know of a decent battery powered headlight?? :banghead:

What kills me is I need a headlight but don't need a helmet. Thanks to the government for looking out for me!!! :cripple:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

The Govt' knows that bikes with Lights and Spark arrestors are sooooo safe and sooooo slow that you don't need a helmet for safety. hehe--WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Are you sure that the '03 250SX doesn't have power? I have 2 friends that have '04 250SX and '04 200SX and both bikes came with a stator. They just hooked up the lights and added a spark arrestor, license plate and they are legal.

The lights on a dirt bike are about 12AC voltage but the 12-15VDC bulbs work just fine.

I bet you can get that helmet after all.

:cheers:

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

lights

Post by thumper-darryl »

Buy a couple of 9 v batteries solder together in paralell, zip tie to the back of a headlight, add a toggle switch, done. Lasts a couple of years of occasional on cycles.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have found a kit at Blackfoot that has a headlight and tailight that runs off a rechargeable battery. If the light will fit onto the KTM without interfering with the brake line I think this is the route I will go. I have to buy one for the Honda too so I may be able to get a deal on 2 :banana:

If I don't like the fit of the light on the KTM I will buy a proper one from acerbis and pick up a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack from Radioshack and wire it all in myself.
Are you sure that the '03 250SX doesn't have power? I have 2 friends that have '04 250SX and '04 200SX and both bikes came with a stator. They just hooked up the lights and added a spark arrestor, license plate and they are legal.
I am going to check this out on the bike this weekend when I get it back. I haven't heard from the repair shop so I am assuming that no news means that they have quit discovering broken parts and are now reassembling it with all new parts. From the cost of the gears you would think the transmissions were made out of some space age synthetic and not just plain old steel :crazy:

Thanks for the input