Dampeners – Sub Mount VS Top Mount

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Dampeners – Sub Mount VS Top Mount

Post by Rackman »

Hey Guys and Gals

I need a quick survey,

I am going to purchase a Scott Dampener... I don't know whether to go top or sub mount.

I'm 5'10" and I am happy so far with the stock bar height (if taller is better I don't know what I have been missing as I have not tried a riser)

I may be mounting a GPS...

All of your opinions would be very welcome so that I can hopefully make the right decision the first time and save some time and money.

Thanks,
Jamie

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

I am 6'2" and am very happy with my new submount riser. For standing in all areas it really helps out. I see a lot of undermounts even with guys that are shorter than you.
2008 KTM 300 XCW

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm shorter and use a Scotts with a sub-mount. I'd rather get a bar pad in the chest than a damper. :D

I like the bar height, but if you don't like it you can get a lower bend bar to equalize it out.

Rackman
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rackman »

Thanks for the Input,

other than the chest pad is there a mecanical advantage for the higher bar height?

Is there any mechanical advantage to having the damener closer the base (less flex in the pin)

If I go with the riser do I loose the adjustability of the handle bars that KTM comes with?

Thanks in advance for the support,
Jamie

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Rackman wrote:
other than the chest pad is there a mecanical advantage for the higher bar height?
Much more comfortable to stand is the benefit. I found it was a more comfortable riding position and I am 5'10. Higher bars do make the motocross style cornering techniques more difficult. not impossible but more difficult to keep your elbows high. Look at David Knight ( a huge guy), he has low bars and throws his bike around like its a 125. For me I prefer the higher set up because it is easier to stand, knowing I give up a little bit for cornering techniques.
Rackman wrote:Is there any mechanical advantage to having the damener closer the base (less flex in the pin)
Its more out of the way for the wild crashes that happen from time to time :D
Rackman wrote:If I go with the riser do I loose the adjustability of the handle bars that KTM comes with?
You can still install the GPR V2 in either of the 2 hole combo's on your triple clamp. You will probably just keep it on the front holes though. Moving to the back holes makes the bike steer way to quick.

Good luck.