Update on my "new CRF250

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Richters Riders
User
User

Update on my "new CRF250

Post by Richters Riders »

Okay now it's really not funny. The mechanic in Lethbridge took the motor apart and said I needed a new piston and ring and oh by the way the cylinder was ok but would have to be replaced probably next year. Well he just got the bike together and it still knocks pretty bad. So he says I will have to have the cylinder replaced. I asked about doing a bore and go oversized but he says the cylinder wall is soooooo thin in these newer bikes that it can't be done. This friggn bike is brand new and has 10 hours on it folks. I am at my wits end. It will probably cost me 1500 to 1800 before this is all done. Is this common in the new Hondas or did I buy a (Monday/Friday) bike?????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm a short chubby dude who couldn't do crazy moto x stuff if my life depended on it. How the h#ll did this happen from one submergence?? :crazy:
CRF-250X Son
2006 500 EFI Polaris ATV Dad
1984 Goldwing 1100 Dad

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

Hydraulic lock bottom end?
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I met a guy on the BC ferry that had a dual sported CRF250X, and he said he has to carry 2 litres of oil with him on longer trips. This is due to the piston only having one oil control ring causing oil blowby. Also, the oil capacity in the crankcase is very limited due to the tranny having a seperate fluid. He said he had done his top end twice already in 5000 km's of mainly street riding. He seemed to know what he's doing. Except for dual sporting a 250... :excuse:
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

Did he replace the rod?
Or check it for bend and twist?
I had a lemon once, I feel your pain! :banghead:
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Welcome to four stroke woes! I think I'll stick with my 2 smoker.
Claude

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Was the cam chain replaced, if the bike was hydro-locked and it got a few kickstart attempts, the cam chain will be stretched. :banghead: Four strokes are :devil: , but that's all that is going to be left soon. :cool: WR Dave :D
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

RR

Your bike is a 4t, but your problem is not related to simply being a 4t, as the same problem will occur with 2ts as well. If it knocks, its because of maybe 3 reasons.

1) When the pison locked, there's a chance that it openned the cyl up or made it swell, again because the cyl walls are thin and the water jacket is there, there little support for a thrusting piston. The knocking noise would be the piston rattling in the cyl with too much clearance. Can your technician use a dial bore gauge to determine if the cyl is out of round etc... Does he have these tools, or is he using an educated guess like the rest of us armchair mechanics? If he doesn't, find tech who has the right tools, even take just the cyl around. Talk to Dan at Walt Healy.

2) A the rod is bent and puts xtra load on the piston causing the knock.

3) The big end brg is flattened from being locked and will create rattle.

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

Hey RR,
I agree with Fry, get the right help!
2 or 4 will all have issues at times.
4's simply have more moving parts. And provoke insecurity with the do it yourselfers'
Just look at it like your Chev 350, with a few less cylinders!
Best of luck!
:cheers:
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Oh gee not another dealer with poor mechanics? :D :D Not an uncommon scene now a days. My friend took his brand new (22km on it)forman 500 to blackfoot for warrenty, a month and a half later a 1400 dollar bill and still not fixed. They said the front wheels would not enguage because of the front diff being hooped replaced and still no fix. Friend got fed up and so i told him to let me look AHHHHHH a broken wire on the harness if you use an ohm meter on the harness. Ironicly it was the feed wire for the enguagement. Repaired wire and lone behold, good to go. Huh us armchair mechanics are more usefull then the ticketed people sometimes. :excuse: :excuse: :excuse:

Anyway back on topic, as fryguy said, any measurments like out of round or clearance? Ask the mechanic for those readings and if he can't supply them take the bike and all the pieces and get out. A box of pieces from the bike is always a scary thing but you know they go somewhere on the bike and a manual will guide you through it all.

Not to overley bash the dealers, there are definetly some good ones out there!!!!!!!! Just trying to find them is the hard part

Rob :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!