DIY Guide: Build Your Own Pipe Dent Remover

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

DIY Guide: Build Your Own Pipe Dent Remover

Post by Rider Eh! »

Hi All, I built a pipe dent remover and thought you may be interested to read:

https://thumpertalk.com/articles/diy-gu ... ver-r1048/

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: DIY Guide: Build Your Own Pipe Dent Remover

Post by Braap791 »

That's awesome thanks for sharing!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I have been using this method to repair pipes for a few years now and feel that it is a much safer method than plugging the ends and heating with a torch (pipe bomb) and the final fit is much better.

A couple tips;
- wrap a bit of wire around the silencer end plug and attach to the mounting tab. This will prevent the plug from slowly creeping out or suddenly being ejected.

- some small pin hole leaks along welds can be sealed by wrapping a large hose clamp around the pipe and using a piece of HD tire tube as a patch. Place a small piece of wood or similar between the clamp and your patch, then tighten the hose clamp to secure it. Sometimes you have to be creative about getting the clamping leverage on your patch. Twisting safety or bailing wire instead of a large hose clamp can also work. FMF pipes almost always leak.

- resist the urge to hold the pipe as you build pressure, pipes can and do split. The water pressure released is relatively safe but the bursting pipe could cause a very bad cut. Any trapped air raises the risk factor significantly.

- for pipes with flat spots or dents to clear rad tanks or similar. Use a felt marker to trace the outline of the factory dent. Use a piece of wood to re-install the dent after the pipe repair. Work slowly until the dent matches the outline you traced.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Thanks Brass, I like your pinhole tips.

What PSI are you typically using?

I just used a finishing wood hammer and eyeballed the gnarly pipe factory dent and tapped away until there was sufficient clearance.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

PSI will range from 400 to 900 for most pipes, for badly bent or crushed necks I have gone as high as 3000 but you have to be prepared to fix a burst at that point. Yamaha pipes split open around 900, stock KTM can take the most pressure, and FMF is a mixed bag. I have had some open up at 300 ish and others max out my pump at 5000 ( I was trying to split that one).

I have had good success retaining original dents by using a hose clamp and a piece of wood but a lot of the time the dent you need to fix is in the same area so the hose clamp interferes.

The new style KTM pipes have been turning out fairly well but the ribs do take a lot of extra work with a piece of hardwood and a hammer while the pipe is still under pressure.

If you run into any problems, drop me a line.