Kids 2 Stroke for woods bikes?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Kids 2 Stroke for woods bikes?

Post by twitch13 »

My kid is outgrown his CRF70 and looking to get him a larger bike, the KX 65 / KTM 65 / YZ 65 fit him but they are set up more for MX. We do mostly woods riding, does anyone have any experience with their kid having an MX style bike in the woods (good or bad)? The other option would be to have a CRF / KLX / TTR 110 but won't get him used to using a clutch and they are heavy.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Kids 2 Stroke for woods bikes?

Post by Braap791 »

I went though this when my wife had a small bore 2 stroke. I would Gear it down and have it jetted correctly and do not run a 2 stroke oil with a seriously high flash point and carry some extra plugs just incase. Possibly run a flywheel weight if you can get one.

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

I have gone down this road.

Had a PW50. Greatest Bike Ever. My daughter loved, but quickly out grew.

Being the cool dad that I am, I bought her a KTM 50. Rebuilt it from frame up. Swapped in some springs from the Adventure model, and thought I would be good to go. I was way wrong. It needed to be ridden like it owed you money (aka wide open). She wasn't down for this. The few trail rides we went out on ended up over heating, and a few clutches later. Almost like the internet said it would play out haha

Few weeks ago, we got her a new TTR 110. Was worried about shifting gears and the weight, but knew the power delivery would be perfect. It was. We only went out a few times to WRMX, but she had zero issues with the size. First few rides just put it in 2nd or 3rd and let her run laps till she dropped.

The 110 would of been to big for her a year ago, but after a year of wasted rides on the 50 she is big enough (7 yrs old, maybe 53 inches tall). Even within the first few rides you could see the enjoyment was back which is all I was hoping for.

So in conclusion
- 4 Stroke Good for kids
- Anyone looking for a screamer KTM 50 for their dare devil child? haha
- Picture for clout hahah
Attachments
GTTR.jpg

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Well, I can chime in as well. I believe the 2 strokes are great trail bikes for kids, but I would strongly suggest going KTM I'm not sure about the YZ 65, but the KTM was/is the only 65 with a power valve. What that gets you is a very tunable power delivery, just like the big bikes. Yes you can make it a fire breathing tire spinning monster, but you can also short shift and get excellent low RPM power delivery.

The 50s are a whole different animal, and do demand a very aggressive style, particularly on hills. The 65 with a clutch (or even a Rekluse) can be a great reliable trail bike that is 75 pounds lighter than comparable "kids" 4 strokes. I do think there would be a strong market for a E-start, reliable mid sized bike that isnt designed to the boiler plate standards of the big 4 i.e. underpowered and way overweight.

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

Thanks for the information everyone. After going back and forth on this one I think we have settled on giving the 2 stroke a shot, my son was adamant that he is ready. I found a 65 sx for a reasonable price. Hopefully my kid doesn't scare the heck out of himself! Probably will be good to start with a heavier flywheel (if I can get one) and see how it goes from there.