Best FRONT tire for GripStuds? +experience with Mitas XT-434 vs. Mitas C-17?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RmdraUser

Best FRONT tire for GripStuds? +experience with Mitas XT-434 vs. Mitas C-17?

Post by RmdraUser »

Does anyone have experience with Mitas XT-434 vs. Mitas C-17 with gripstuds (1740) for winter trail riding?

Specifically as the front 21" tire. Which one holds the studs better?

Additionally, is there another front tire you would recommend as the ideal front tire that keeps the studs in? (given responsible riding technique)

Thank you for the tips!
Last edited by RmdraUser on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Best FRONT tire for GripStuds? +experience with Mitas XT-434 vs. Mitas C-17?

Post by Grimlock »

I’ve run a bunch of different fronts for winter riding. I usually just throw studs in whatever front tire is on my winter bike and run it.

IRC M1A - best I have used for conditions with deeper snow.

Michelin S12XC - works well as long as you stay away from rocks.

Michelin Starcross Medium - same as S12 as long as you stay away from rocks.

Michelin Starcross Soft - side lugs disappear very easily. However, tire was very well used when I tossed studs in.

Dunlop AT81 - was a pain to stud and side lugs disappeared quickly.

Kenda Southwick II - hands down the best all around tire I have used for winter riding. Easy to stud, has a great profile and works great. The only downside was the fact I liked it so much for winter that I burned through the three others I bought at a heavy discount during one race season. Sadly, the one I was running for winter suffered a bad puncture and had to be binned.

As of right now, I am back using a Starcross Soft. Using it because it was on the machine already and I don’t buy new tires for winter riding unless they are deeply discounted like the Kenda was.
#826A

RmdraUser

Re: Best FRONT tire for GripStuds? +experience with Mitas XT-434 vs. Mitas C-17?

Post by RmdraUser »

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.