KTM/Husky TPI Bog

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Regi300
User
User

KTM/Husky TPI Bog

Post by Regi300 »

Howdy. I own a 2020 TE 250i and up until now it has been the best bike I have owned to date. I am getting a really nasty bog.. details are in the video description. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, it's worth mentioning that i am not one of the TPI haters. All mechanical things break down in time and need TLC, and I am cool with that.

Thanks

Watch "KTM/HUSKY TPI Problem - Bog" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/J0CgpXdvfU8

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: KTM/Husky TPI Bog

Post by trailguy »

I would replace the inline fuel filter and spark plug to start with. Some of these Tpi's are doing weird things to spark plugs over time. How many hours on the bike?
Change the fuel in the tank.
From there I would get the fuel pump tested and see if you have 50 psi at the fuel line.
Pull the power valve covers and run the bike to make sure they are operating properly.
Pull the CCPS (crank case pressure sensor) line and barbed fitting at the cylinder and make sure there is no carbon build up.
Check the perforated core in the muffler, I had one break, block exhaust flow and it did the exact same thing your bike is doing.
If its none of the above, you will likely be chasing electrical gremlins.

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Thanks for getting back to me so fast trailguy.

I took it to the dealership prior to this video and the results were:

- diagnostic tool found no faulty sensors, the check-up came back clean.

- fuel pressure was within spec.

- CCPS tube had a small build up of carbon. Fitting and tube were cleaned out.

- they could not get it to bog on 2 test rides. So that did not help.

I'm going to check the muffler, never thought of that one... going to pull it off right now. Spark plug had ~10hrs on it.

Yes... my biggest fear chasing down electrical issues. I know exactly the effort involves and want nothing to do with it.

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Had the bike out this morning for more diagnostics. Managed to foul new 2 plugs. The were caked in carbon and the threads were dripping oil. I'm thinking there is an error in temp feedback. As mentioned before the bike starts of running great and then as soon as I really start putting it to work and the bike is hot the problem arises. I reached out to Husqvarna directly, hopefully this a known issue with an easy fix. Otherwise I thinking about selling dirt cheat and hopefully catching the interest of a mechanically talented ndividual that loves these projects. The carbed 2021 TM EN 250 really catches my eye..

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

**UPDATE**

The original thought was I had a failing crank pressure sensor. It was changed out in late October. With the warmer weather and bare roads I was able to take the bike for a test ride. It ran horrible and the rear wheel locked up.

I took the bike to BFD, they tore it down and the problem was reviled. Dust and dirt was in my engine ultimately destroying it. I saw the cylinder with my own eyes... pretty ashamed of myself as I have been at this for awhile and I like to think I'm on top of my air filter maintenance and always check to confirm it's seated correctly. During the summer I ran a cheaper air filter in place of the Twin Air to save some money, so I'm hoping I can pass some of the blame on it, opposed to my own negligence.... :thinking:

In short, the bogging was just a symptom of the engine slowly being destroyed by the ingested dust I suspect. It was owner error and I can't blame the machine.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Yeah, It's a little hard to swallow.

I thought I would do a follow up as it would be a little douchy to blame the bike and feed into the TPI doom and gloom when it was clearly operator error.