DRZ400E

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

DRZ400E

Post by fasteer »

In my research about the excellent KTM thumpers, I came across an interesting article about the DRZ400E.
It said this bike is a bit fat & soft to be a racer, but is an excellent trailbike.
Since I am also a bit fat & soft to be a racer, maybe I should have another look at the DRZ.
Whattaya think?
Frank

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

My previous bike before my KTM 525 EX/C. was a 400DRZ(E). Yes it is a little fat and lazy for racing as the suspension is just too soft. For trail and play riding the DRZ was in its element. As long as I didn't get stuck I could ride all day without the bike beating me up. As the speed builds though the DRZ begins to get nervous, if you plan on blasting down a lot of whooped double track then get heavier springs and a revalve. The 400 engine lacks the ultimate grunt of the 525 but what it does deliver is smooth power everywhere. The DRZ never felt underpowered. The front brake felt a little weak while the rear was ok. I rode the DRZ for 4 seasons and it never failed, a very durable unit. The DRZ also took a lot less time to maintain than my current KTM. If you are looking for a trail/play bike and you keep the speeds down the DRZ is a great choice.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

I to had a DRZ a couple of seasons ago and it was a truly excellent trail/play bike. But if I tried to go faster than the bike was designed for it got out of hand real quick, I got hurt a few times trying to hang on to a 300LB bike that was past it's comfort zone. But if you don't want to go KTM speeds it's alot cheaper to buy and run than the orange bikes.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

I've got a 2001 400E, and I love it.

I dual sported it - really easy to do and only cost me about $100.

For a beginner to intermediate rider, I don't think it can be beat. Even if you're an advanced rider and just looking for a play/trail bike, it would be hard to beat.

For me, somewhere in the gray area between beginner and intermediate, the bike does everything I could ask of it.

It definitely won't outrun any 450 MX'ers, but after tweaking the jetting a little, I've never wanted more power. It comes on really smooth and tractable, and has tons of low end torque with pretty good top end. It'll cruise all day at most any speed, and works just fine on the single track for my skill level.

The suspension is soft, but for a rider like me, that's a plus 90% of the time. I have had it wide open on the whooped out sand roads north of Fort McMurray, and you can/will find the limits of the suspension in that kinda riding in a hurry. I'm guessing that a simple spring swap or revalve would go a long way though.

The bike is stone realible too. I change the oil and ride. I've checked the valves twice, and both times they were right on. I crashed and took out the water pump, that was costly, and I crushed a radiator when the wind blew my bike over after I parked it on a ridge. I added some more protection and problem solved.

Electric start is SWEET too, just pushing a button is WAY worth the weight to me.

The best part about the bike is that it can do anything. It's not the best at any one thing, but overall, it's a great bike for anything from commuting to work, which I do, to riding single track. It let's you do more riding by expanding when and where you can ride.

The down side, the only real downside, is that it's heavy. It can be a bit of a beast to handle at times, especially when stuck in the ugly stuff or on the real tight and twisty trails.

Anyhoo, that's my $0.02.

Waxy

P.S. Good to see you here Canucklehead. :D

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

One of my riding buddies has one and he loves it. He changed the muffler to an FMF ??4 w/spark arrestor, added a kick start kit, rejetted in a big way and other than being about 10 lbs heavier than my WR 426, his bike hauls a$$ all day long. It is a perfect bike for trials. WR Dave. :cheers: P.S. the Kawasaki versions are selling new(2004) for around $5000.00. Good Deal- same bike just green.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

I ride a 04 DRZ400E and let me tell you this bike is bomb proof. True, I can not ride at the same speeds as some of the other bikes but it will go anywhere you want it to. You just need the skill to take it there. And I strongly agree, if you get in *#it and have to do allot of lifting and pulling it will wear you out in a hurry (300lbs). I have found the key is to stay on it and keep moving :D

I have plenty of hours on my bike now and have checked the valve a clearances according to the manual. No adjustment needed (steel valves). As far as maintenance is concerned; clean it, lube it, change the oil, clean the air filter, fill it with fuel and you are good to go.

I didn't like the bottom end/throttle response at first, so I changed out the exhaust, jetting and sprocket. Even a friend with a CR 500 says my DRZ pulls hard.

I purchased this bike brand new this year for $5300. $500 worth of mods and I am into it for $5800. If you are a beginner to intermediate rider I think this bike has allot of bang for the buck.

Just my opinion

rescue9 out!
04 DRZ 400

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

DB,
If you are reading this post thanks for the log-hopping tip, it has come in handy a couple of times :cheers:
04 DRZ 400

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

rescue9 wrote:DB,
If you are reading this post thanks for the log-hopping tip, it has come in handy a couple of times :cheers:

;)

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

I had a DRZ400E before I got my CRF and for it's intended purpose ie trail-riding it is a great bike.
As everyone says it is heavy and is a handful in any mud(that 300lbs tends to do what it wants).
Also I am 5'9" and found the seat height to be too high,I ended up shaving almost 1" off the seat then it felt right.
The suspension is plush,great in the slow stuff but a racer it ain't,at least not for me.
Ended up putting stiffer springs in and that helped.
The motor responds very well to aftermarket exhausts,I put a White Brother's R Series pipe on and along with some jetting changes it made a huge difference,though it was very loud!!
DRZ is also geared pretty high for slow tight stuff,going 2 bigger on the back sprocket helps clutch abuse alot!!
Overall I loved the motor(after the mods) but could not come to grips with the weight and handling of the bike at a faster pace or in the mud.I was also doing some moto and hill-climbing and that is definitely not where you want a DRZ to be.
:cripple: :cripple: ...It bit me hard several times trying to do things I should'nt on it.
If you want to research the bike a bit more head to www.thumpertalk.com
There tons of info there to read. :D
2009 KTM 530EXC