sheared off kickstand bolt

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

sheared off kickstand bolt

Post by clamacious »

My 2013 KTM 250 XC-W kickstand bolt failed leaving a sheared off bolt shaft that's flush with the top of the mounting lug on the frame. I tried screw/bolt extractors starting off with a smaller size and after no success I worked my way up to the largest size I could use. The bolt refused to come out and now I've pretty much run out of options as I'll be wiping out the threads on the lug. What's the best solution at this point?

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: sheared off kickstand bolt

Post by bikingagain »

Can you use a “Tap” to clean out the threads?

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

If you can get at the back side, center punch and drill carefully, the right hand drill rotation from there might catch and walk it out the front, used this trick on a clutch basket bolt that sheared

Or completely drill it out and try a nutsert, I have the nutsert tool you can borrow

If that doesn't hold...

I've had Trillion repair several swing arms, they can likely weld a boss back on if you booger it

Failing all that :D :

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

I think I'm ok. Or maybe just very lucky. Not having any expectation of success I went out and gave it one more effort and using the smallest drill bit I managed to drill a hole right through the bottom of the bolt stub. My smallest sized extractor then got a really good bite on the bolt fragment and I was able to spin it out. Amazingly enough the pivot threads didn't look too bad so I ran a tap in to clean them up and they readily accepted the new pivot bolt. I've remounted the kickstand and it looks to be fine, or at least fine enough. Hope it's a good fix because I'd like to avoid the more complicated surgery that Malcolmzilla is describing.

One thing I learned is that I should have applied heat to the broken bolt before I did anything. Jeff Slavens says the oem bolt has thread locker on it and that is why it did not come out with the earlier extractor attempts. A couple of heat cycles will supposedly help break down the thread lock. Wished I known that...I was so close to irretrievably pooching the mount.