Countershaft

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Deaner

Countershaft

Post by Deaner »

Has anyone knicked the rubber bearing case while replacing the countershaft seal. Just did mine and the rubber case that holds the bearings together has some small knicks in it. Could of been from me or the previous owner. Just wondering if this will affect anything. It’s not wrecked enough the rubber is going to rip apart(or so I hope) so I think it should be fine??? What’s are your thoughts? :confused:

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Countershaft

Post by Braap791 »

I would monitor that one for leaks and buy a replacement part and keep it on hand just incase.

Deaner

Post by Deaner »

Braap791 wrote:I would monitor that one for leaks and buy a replacement part and keep it on hand just incase.
I put a new seal kit in. Seal, bushing, o ring, washer and bolt. The rubber I’m talking about has nothing to do with the seal but I’m just worried about the integrity of it now as it holds the bearings.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

That could go either way, the positive is that bearing runs in oil. Change your oil into a strainer/cheese cloth and check for the plastic in the bearing. After every ride grab the front sprocket and move the shaft up and down, once you start getting a little play install a new bearing.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Sounds like you are talking about what is called a dust seal that sits between the inner and outer race of the bearing. It can be removed if it’s a concern.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I had assumed he was talking about the plastic cage the roller bearing run in.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Maybe my bad , last counter shaft bearing i replaced was a garden variety ball bearing. Read the op again and sounds like some fancy speciality caged bearing design. I am out