2018 ktm 500 exc-f check engine light

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
blackchrome
User
User

2018 ktm 500 exc-f check engine light

Post by blackchrome »

ive got an intermentant solid check engine light (no flashes) usually comes on after riding the bike more than 10 min But not all the time. bike runs great no loss of power, starts fine but when light is on idle is a slight bit rough but will not stall.

bike has 7 hrs and roughly 500km evap system completely deleted with solenoid dongle from slavens, same with exhaust air injection, air box reeds pulled out, muffler end cap screens removed left the spark arrestor and throttle position sensor adjusted to 0.702

not sure if it is related to modifications or electrical related (know ktm wiring can be hit or miss my 300 had starter wiring issues)

any one got some advice?

JKRubicon
User
User

Re: 2018 ktm 500 exc-f check engine light

Post by JKRubicon »

You haven't done anything to change the fuel mapping, like a Vortex?

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

No aftermarket ecu yet vortex were on backorder across north America when I did the delete and supposedly the athena get ecu is better so waiting till those are available.

After hours of searching I did find a guy with a 250exc with similar issues and his was the idle was out of the range that the ecu likes. So iam going to see if I can use my laser tachometer off starter and get actually rpm reading I should be able to set it to factory spec. If not back to dealer to pay them to do it

JKRubicon
User
User

Post by JKRubicon »

I have the same bike with the same mods, plus the Vortex. I haven't had any issues.
I'm just wondering if you are running too lean?
My understanding (mostly from what I've read in the de-smog thread over at the ThumperTalk forum) is that the bikes run lean from the dealer to help them pass emissions testing, and it's not recommended to open them up more without changing the fuel mapping.
I imagine you probably checked already, but I saw something from Slaven's regarding him having the GET's available?

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

adjusting the Tps will enrich the the fuel table up to 85% throttle not the best way to do it but better than nothing and definitely not running as lean as it was stock.

Knuck
User
User

Post by Knuck »

These bikes are way lean stock. Do not uncork it until you can richen the mixture up otherwise not good. It is a 2018 (2019s are locked) so why not just get a dealer to load a new map in (Euro or Australian)? That way no aftermarket tuner needed. Uncorked with a new map it will be a beast.

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

Adjusted the idle up and rode the bike to work no check engine light will ride it tomarrow and see if anything happens