Best Fuel

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
JKRubicon
User
User

Best Fuel

Post by JKRubicon »

Where does everyone like to go to get gas for their bikes?
In my manual it recommends 91 octane, but also says not to use fuel with more than 10% ethanol.
Up until now I've been running PetroCan 91, but am really unsure of its ethanol level.
Which gas stations sell fuels with the lowest amounts of ethanol added? Shell? PetroCan?...

Also, is there any benefit to going with a higher octane fuel like the 94 that PetroCan sells in Aldersyde? Or is it just best to stick with the recommended 91?

JKRubicon
User
User

Re: Best Fuel

Post by JKRubicon »

I should have added, my bike is a '18 KTM 500 EXC-F.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Shell Gold use to be the fuel of choice until they came out with the Nitro blend, seemed like alot of issue's with 2 strokes.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11404&hilit=Shell+nitro+fuel
It maybe fine in your 4 stroke but I stopped purchasing Shell because I need fuel for 2 and 4 stroke. For the last couple of years I only run Esso 91 or Co-op 91, rumor is this is the old Shell Gold formula that Co-op purchases from Shell. Both have been great. In the 2T I also run Lucas Oil octane booster.
I talked with the manager of my local Husky about their 94 octane and he said stay away from it as its high in Ethanol ( I think that's how they are getting the higher octane number ), this would be the same for Petro, Mohawk, etc.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I've been fouling plugs on cold starts the last couple of years. Twice this week at Kooc. I do use Shell V Power. I guess I'll try Coop and see. I thought I had a bad batch of oil but I'll try changing gas first.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Co-op premium. No ethanol and never had any issues in 2 or 4 strokes.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Coop Gold 91 in Alberta
Chevron 94 in BC (but the price will get ya) :smirk:
:thumbsup:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

This is a good resource, but haven't looked at it a while, so hopefully it is still being updated/maintained.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

JKRubicon
User
User

Post by JKRubicon »

Dakota_c69 wrote:This is a good resource, but haven't looked at it a while, so hopefully it is still being updated/maintained.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
Thanks Dakota,
I have seen that list before too, but I also wasn't sure how accurate it was, or if it's kept up to date.

I guess with someone like Shell, they own their own refineries so there should be consistency of their fuels from one station to another?

ttwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ttwest »

SX 65 fouls plugs with anything but Co-op. Co-op has no ethanol in all grades of their fuel in Calgary. My F350 V10 gets about 10 % better fuel mileage using non ethanol regular.

JKRubicon
User
User

Post by JKRubicon »

ttwest wrote:SX 65 fouls plugs with anything but Co-op. Co-op has no ethanol in all grades of their fuel in Calgary. My F350 V10 gets about 10 % better fuel mileage using non ethanol regular.
Thanks for the recommendations guys.
The consensus definitely seems to lean towards CO-OP. I'll give them a try next fill up. :applause:

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

I've been running husky 94 for last 4years in both my 300 2 stroke and my 500 4 stroke no issues in either.

but shell fuels I've had a few problems with there nitro diesel in my toyota diesel pickup and had a few vw/ audi cars that wouldn't run right on shell gasoline

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Co Op now for my premium bike and car needs.
The one time i used Co Op diesel, it had enough water to mess my truck up, that was expensive. i went back to Husky for diesel.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

So Co- Op premium which has worked so well for myself and many others is done. They recently have added ethonal to all of their fuels including the premium. They have added a label to the pumps stating so.
I inquired with Co-Op for the reason they switched and they said it was due to recent government regulations.
Not sure if ESSO premium will suffer the same fate.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

You won't be able to buy pump gasoline that is ethanol free in Canada. You will have to buy race gas or gas from small engine dealers that sell ethanol free gas, but you'll pay for it! I was just at Home Hardware and they are selling premixed non ethanol gas for $26.99 for 3.25l ! You have a choice of 50:1 or 40:1. They also have non mixed gas for the same price! $8.30 per litre! This may not last either as the federal government might put a stop to these fuels being manufactured! Not sure what we can do to get get non ethanol gas cheaper. There are all kinds of videos on youtube about how to remove ethanol from the gas.
Claude

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Removing ethanol from fuel will lower the octane rating, so if you do so make sure you are using premium fuel first. I believe a two to three point drop in the RON is expected if you remove the ethanol.

This bio fuel initiative makes zero sense of the ethanol is sourced from corn or wheat. The carbon dioxide emissions from just producing ethanol from corn is much higher than producing and burning the same volume of gasoline. Corn and wheat sourced ethanol is nothing more than ag welfare disguised as green initiatives.
#826A