Chest protectors

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Powdercowboy
User
User

Chest protectors

Post by Powdercowboy »

With all the different options, just wondering what everyone wears, if they do, for chest protectors.

Iv been riding years myself without one, but I'm looking for something light, breathable with good maneuverability. Not to keen on shoulder protectors.

theowenmaz
User
User

Re: Chest protectors

Post by theowenmaz »

Powdercowboy wrote:With all the different options, just wondering what everyone wears, if they do, for chest protectors.

Iv been riding years myself without one, but I'm looking for something light, breathable with good maneuverability. Not to keen on shoulder protectors.
I personally wear one of the full pressure suit/ballistic jerseys, the lightest/most breathable option would be the Alpinestars Bionic jacket. if you're looking for just a throw-over style something super minimal then something like a Fox Proframe or Atlas Defender, even a Fox Raptor but you may find it too bulky. There is a ton of options those are just a few off the top of my head that we have at GW.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I wear a TLD chest protector. It’s light and breathable. It has good front, side, back protection and is easily customizable to accommodate a neck brace or remove the shoulder pieces. Cycleworks Calgary has a lot of good options for protection.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Another vote for the TLD, checks all the boxes and also comes in different sizes.

Powdercowboy
User
User

Post by Powdercowboy »

I'll have to check out the TLD gear as i have been quite happy with my knee/shin pads.

Would the roost guards still protect decent for singletrack use?

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

I use a Leatt Adventure Vest (no sleeves, just front and back protection with a removeable kidney belt) but the Leatt HD5.5 Chest protector is the same or better if you don't want the vest set-up.

Don't want to start a debate here but the Leatt stuff (and some other good safety gear) has specifications for the amount of impact protection it offers and I would highly recommend getting the highest level of impact protection that you can comfortably ride with.

I can't recommend the Leatt enough, I got hit square in the back (or landed on, judging the the tire marks on my jersey and gouges on my helmet) by a YZ450 at speed on a downhill double at the track. When I woke up my back was killing me = 2 fractured vertebrae and the other guy didn't know what planet he was on.

Crazy part was I had just changed my trans oil at the track and was about to load up but thought I'd make "a few easy laps" as there was really no one else there. I had taken my neck brace and chest protector off to do the oil change and was about to go out without them but was riding over to the track and felt naked without my neck brace so turned around and went back and put them on. Suspect it might have ended very differently had I not done that.

I've been a huge Leatt supporter ever since.

NOTE - I also have an Acerbis chest/back protector with the same high level of protection as the Leatt that I used maybe 3x for sale. I didn't like the way it felt with my neck brace but it might work for you.