Neck Braces

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Giles
Writer
Writer

Neck Braces

Post by Giles »

hi gang, finally decided to get a neck brace and I'm wondering what everyone is recommending?
I usually wear a Fox Impact suit under my Jersey (love how the elbow pads stay in place) except for very hot days I'll switch to my over the jersey chesties. Is there a specific neck brace that will work well with both scenarios?

If not, I'd also consider ordering a complete Leatte integrated system or something of that ilk...….what is the most popular option here?

Any feed back is appreciated.

Cheers, Giles

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Neck Braces

Post by twitch13 »

When I started riding a few years ago I started with the Fox Titan pressure suit with a Leatt neck brace. It did not fit well and the only way I could get it to work better was to remove a few of the upper back plates on the Fox and duct tape the Velcro on the back to allow the rear strut of the Leatt to slide in. This didn't work great as over time while riding the Leatt would slide up and I needed to re-adjust it often, the Leatt comes with a strap that wraps around your chest to hold it better in place but it is difficult to use if you are sliding the neck brace into your jersey.

My buddy uses the EVS neck collar, the rear strut is short so it sits on top of pressure suits better and can sit on top of the jersey, this allows you to better utilize the strap that wraps around your chest to hold it in place.

We could start a whole debate on whether the EVS neck collar is as good as a Leatt neck brace but that would be for another thread. I'm a Leatt fan so I ended up changing my armor to a Leatt pressure suit which worked better with the neck brace but was still hot. Last year I changed to the Alpinestars A10 and it works well.

The only info I have on the Leatt integrated is from the kids. It doesn't work well with a jersey over top and we had some manufacturing flaws with the flexible opening of the neck brace breaking apart. Leatt was good on the warranty but in my opinion it is better to have separate armor and neck brace.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Helmet choice will also impact neck brace selection. Not being able to look “up” puts a lot off folks off braces, which is sort of the point of the brace...
The Atlas has a lower profile than the Leatt, I have both.
If using a conventional helmet , the Atlas and other lower styles might be more suitable.
Now that I have a Leatt helmet, it has a taper at the back that accommodates the Leatt brace, yielding a bit more mobility.
Take your helmet and armour in, try em all.

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

I have the Leatt 6.5 Carbon model and really like it; it fits well with my Leatt Adventure vest and is generally not even noticeable. Only time I notice it is when trying to look really far ahead on a downhill and even then it isn't a big deal.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Dobi wrote:the guy that did the comprehensive EMT trackside article was on the PulpMX podcast this week. Worth a listen for sure