Suggestions on who to call to remove this screw? Machine Shop?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestions on who to call to remove this screw? Machine Shop?

Post by JG2 »

A friend tried to install the Slavens Mule EZ Idle Screw for his Husky 300 TPI and is having some issues.

In spite of heating the (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.) out the stock screw he cannot get the thing out and has subsequently made a mess of the head. He claims to have tried everything up to and including reverse drill bits with no luck - not sure why they decided to put weapons grade Loctite on this screw, it must have been the same Gunther that put the Loctite on my KTM linkage bolts at the KTM factory.

Thoughts? We were thinking of calling a machine shop to see if they could get this damn thing out. Bike still runs fine with the mangled stock screw but as I'm sure you can appreciate it is maddening when you can't get something to work as intended.

[URL=http://s345.photobucket.com/user/J ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s345.photobucket.com/user/J ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Suggestions on who to call to remove this screw? Machine Shop?

Post by Rider Eh! »

Looks like an allen key? Spray with PB Blaster and let it soak. That might not do it since you have already destroyed the key hole. I'd just keep stepping up to bigger and bigger drill bits until you get close to the case threads. Then smack down on it with a punch and break the old one out. Lastly chase the threads.

Not sure what he used for heat but a torch or map gas may burn off the loctite as well.

Other option is if you can cut a slot in with a dremel, do so and try to remove with a flathead screwdriver. Not sure there is room to cut a slot in there though.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have had occasional success pounding a suitably sized sacrificial torx head driver into mangled set screws, heat the surrounding boss before attempting.

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

Thanks for the tips fellows.

It is very strange as my friend kept telling me that he tried numerous drill bits of different types and they would not do anything at all. I told him I didn't believe him and he took it to a machine shop who also had no luck with their drill press and multiple bits.

The machine shop guy is a gearhead and works on throttle bodies; he is going to take the thing apart and figure out some way to get the screw out.

If anyone looking at this Slavens mod I would recommend thinking long and hard about it - that is some crazy loctite on that screw; buddy had it hot as heck with a MAP torch and the screw didn't even budge. Slavens mentions loctite and difficult to get out in his video but this is out of hand.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Well you haven't destroyed it yet. Could just leave it alone. Set screws are hard steel, they need to be. I think you need to relieve the outer tension on the threads in one of 2 ways. 1. drill a hole close to the inner thread diameter, chances such a small bit will drift and meet the threads. 2. using a dremel cut a length wise slot in the casting around the screw and the screw should come out easily, then weld the slot closed (serious welding skills required) and chase the treads. This is feeling like a pricy mod since you are likely to wreck the part. I guess if you wreck the existing thread you could make a custom adjustment screw and thread the outer body casing. Just seems like too much effort. Good luck