Tubliss tire preference?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Tubliss tire preference?

Post by SteveOg »

I'm going to mount up my Tubliss setup, front and rear, on my FE350 and am wondering if certain tires work better with them than others? I ride Mclean and don't really have a tire preference so if there's a set that are more suitable or work better with Tubliss, that's what I'll pick up. Thanks!

Regi300
User
User

Re: Tubliss tire preference?

Post by Regi300 »

I run a kenda IBEX on the rear and the traction is mind blowing. Grips everything and provides a plush ride. For the front, i've gone back and forth between the Bridgestone M59 and Starcross 5 medium. I have never been a fan of Michelin in the slightest.. but i would give the edge to the starcross front (front only, i hate the rear) easiest tire in the world to mount and grips well in all applications. The AT81 front was the worst tubliss experience to date, it puntures easy and was always fighting me in ruts...

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Really like the Starcross 5 soft on the front for McLean, holds up well, works great everywhere, really easy to install and is lighter than everything else.
On the rear I have run several different Kenda's including the Ibex, Pirelli MX 32, Dunlops, Michelin's, IRC M5B and the gummy Gekkota. All work well with the Tubliss system but my current favorite is the IRC Gekkota. Crazy traction at 5 - 6 psi and acts more like a regular tire on hard surfaces compared to the Ibex which is a bit sketchy at speed in hard and rocky surfaces. The Ibex does blow away a regular tire when things get slippery.
Run a few ounces of a latex based tire sealant like Stan's. Do not run non-latex sealants like Multi-seal, Finishline, Slime etc, they are useless on the dirtbike and Mountain bike - had to learn that one the hard way :thumbsdown: .
Follow the Tubliss instructions to a T and it a great system. For someone who does not like to read/follow product instructions the Tubliss system is likely not for them as some of the mounting methods are oppose of mounting a tube or Bib.
Nothing like going out on a wet/icy day and running 4 psi. :D

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Trailguy - I took a look at the IRC, i like the tread pattern and the fact you mentioned it's stable at speed. The kenda can get a little squirrelly in 5th and 6th gear transfer sections. How many hours have you gotten out of one? I'm at peace with 20-25 hours on gummy before it self-destructs, but wouldn't want anything that wears quickers than that.

Thanks.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Reg - I only have two races, 5 hours on the IRC. Moose Mountain race had alot of high speed rocky climbs - some 4th gear cutlines. I was really surprised none of the knobs cracked or chunked off. I have run the same leading edge in the two races, I am turning the tire around for the next two races ( its nice it is not directional ) then I will trail ride it this Fall. As you know the Ibex lasts a long time and I do not see this tire lasting as long as the Ibex, I think 20 hours may be a stretch for the IRC. Riding an XCF 250 and 150 lbs., so a big guy on a 450 may have different results.
If I can get 4 races and a few trail rides out of the IRC I will definitely be buying another.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

I ended up going with the Starcross 5 Med on the front and the M5B on the back with Stan's in both. The hardest part of the whole job was getting the old rear tire off the rim so I don't have any complaints with the install process. I'm sure part of it is going from very worn tires to brand new ones but the traction was incredible at 9 PSI. So far, I'm pretty happy with my setup and can't wait to get out again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: