2 Stroke Maintenance-2009 KTM 200XC

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dstlouis

2 Stroke Maintenance-2009 KTM 200XC

Post by dstlouis »

Hey there,

I just bought a 2009 KTM 200XC used off Kijiji. The bike has been exceptionally well-cared for, and I would like to continue to maintain it well. However, this bike is my first 2 stroke, so I'm wondering at what intervals you generally perform maintenance on these machines. I've bought an hour-meter so I can better track this. I'm wondering about how often to flush and replace radiator fluid, the top end, transmission oil, and any other things you may consider to be important. Thanks!
2009 KTM 200XC

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2 Stroke Maintenance-2009 KTM 200XC

Post by trailguy »

Congrats on getting the last year KTM made the XC 200. They were made from 1997 - 2016 and the 2009 XC was the best 200 in some ways, especially the forks, gearbox and weight.
For our bush riding in Alberta the gear box ratio's and final gearing 14/48 is perfect. Run the rear axle as far back in the swingarm as possible.
If you find the Bladder forks harsh on rocks/roots, Don at Pro-Action has an awesome set up for these. If you are under 170 lbs. I really like the Langston Lite progressive spring. 110mm of rider sag.
There is a mega thread on KTM Talk if you want to try different power valve settings.
Run Esso or Co-Op premium fuel. Do NOT run Shell Gold Nitro unless you like buying spark plugs by the 6 pack.
This bike has 13.5" of rear travel, the chain needs to be looser than a standard linkage bike with 12" of travel.
The clutch and top ends on these last a really long time if you are fast hard charging rider. Add more run time if you are slower.
The clutch's metal plates are a mix of steel and aluminium, the Alum plates cause the oil to go dark fairly soon. Get the oil out once it gets really dark, this will be easy to figure out with an hour meter. If you want longer oil change intervals, replace the Alum plates with all metal plates. I have run Opti -4, 10w40 in all my 200's since 1991, it has been great. I have never replaced a clutch in any of my 200's or had any tranny issue's.
Replace the coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and suspension fluids once a year.
Repack the muffler ever couple of months and install a new spark plug.
Pull the reeds out once a year and look for cracked/chipped pedals.
Pull the jug once a year, if the piston looks good and measures within spec I would just replace the rings and top end bearing, this being on the KTM OEM pistons.
Enjoy :thumbsup:

dstlouis

Re: 2 Stroke Maintenance-2009 KTM 200XC

Post by dstlouis »

Thanks trail guy, I appreciate the advice and will follow it. I'm finding I'm really enjoying the bike, so I'd like it to last as long as possible.
2009 KTM 200XC