Rocks and logs tire recommendations?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
DwayneH
User
User

Rocks and logs tire recommendations?

Post by DwayneH »

Hey to all the other crazies out there that are doing Rocks and logs this year what are running for a rear tire?..I know trade secrets and all but looking at getting new rubber and wondering what I might get for recommendations
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Rocks and logs tire recommendations?

Post by Dobi »

I've run Michelin S12's and a Bridgestone MX20 before and felt they were decent. When talking with Mike Brown at the endurocross school he hosted here the question was asked if the gummy tires are worth it. Brownie didn't even hesitate and said they are 50% better than any moto tire out there.

I went and picked up one of these for this years event. I haven't run it yet, but if it works for Cody Webb it must be good. it is an incredible feeling tire on the rack.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/d ... x-at81-ex/

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

Dobi wrote:I've run Michelin S12's and a Bridgestone MX20 before and felt they were decent. When talking with Mike Brown at the endurocross school he hosted here the question was asked if the gummy tires are worth it. Brownie didn't even hesitate and said they are 50% better than any moto tire out there.

I went and picked up one of these for this years event. I haven't run it yet, but if it works for Cody Webb it must be good. it is an incredible feeling tire on the rack.

Thanks Mike... that's one of the tires I was considering. I was also looking at the Kenda Ibex, Shinko 525 or 505 cheaters as well as others like the Mitas. Where did you get yours and are they in stock or an order item?
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I went to Allison at Cycle Works. I believe she had all of them in stock. The block pattern on the dunlop just seemed to call my name :applause:

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

:thumbsup:
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

I have run the Mitas E-07 gummy and found it excellent especially in rocks,I personally would steer clear of the so called cheater tires from personal experience.

DwayneH
User
User

Post by DwayneH »

Ended up with another Gibson tyre mx7.1 gummy..had one on before, it didn't last long but to be fair he was practicing moto starts on concrete a ton which destroyed it in short order!...was the best decision as he is sponsored by them and they had one come available.
gdg530 have you tried the shinko 505 cheater? I have one in the 120 size sitting on my tire shelf haven't tried it yet though
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

DwayneH wrote:Ended up with another Gibson tyre mx7.1 gummy..had one on before, it didn't last long but to be fair he was practicing moto starts on concrete a ton which destroyed it in short order!...was the best decision as he is sponsored by them and they had one come available.
gdg530 have you tried the shinko 505 cheater? I have one in the 120 size sitting on my tire shelf haven't tried it yet though
I didn’t like the shinko, especially on a 250 2s. It is extremely heavy and you feel it when riding. Felt like twice the weight of a standard tire. Lots of role at speed too.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Dobi wrote:I've run Michelin S12's and a Bridgestone MX20 before and felt they were decent. When talking with Mike Brown at the endurocross school he hosted here the question was asked if the gummy tires are worth it. Brownie didn't even hesitate and said they are 50% better than any moto tire out there.

I think those Dunlop AT81EX will be money. I bought two.. Haven't tried them yet. I put them beside a new Kenda Ibex and the Dunlop are a lot softer and substantially "stickier". Don't expect them to last long though.
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

downunder366 wrote: I think those Dunlop AT81EX will be money. I bought two.. Haven't tried them yet. I put them beside a new Kenda Ibex and the Dunlop are a lot softer and substantially "stickier". Don't expect them to last long though.
Just picked up an AT81EX and the best way I describe them is they are like "gummy bear tires"

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

seems like Rocks and Logs is going to be full lines this year with all the sandbaggers on here with cheater tires :thumbsup:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've got 4 races and 2 rides on my AT81EX and it has now become my practice tire. Worked good tonight at McLean even though it looks pretty bad. Still has taller knobs than the Shinko 505.

Abeo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Abeo »

If a member is hard up for a tire for the race, I have a shinko 505 that I was waiting to put on my bike that I can part with.
Ian
Old bike--> 2001 CR250
New Ride--> 2015 KTM 200 XCW

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I saw stacks of gummy tires at CycleWorks Calgary today. :thumbsup: