Any cheap spark arrestor options?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Any cheap spark arrestor options?

Post by cerealkiller »

In preparation for the BC races this year, I'm shopping for a way to add a spark arrestor to my 2016 350 XCF. The two cheapest I've found are the Lexx slip-on and mid pipe system for $200 USD from RMATV or the PMB endcap for about $200 CAD.

Call me cheap, but since this is not a part I expect to make me go faster, I'm not thrilled about spending that much. Just curious if anyone knows of another option?

If not, I will pony up for one of the two. I'm leaning towards the Lexx since there might be some performance benefit to an exhaust system - not that I need more power. Plus mine probably needs to be repacked, so I can skip that step.

I did find this old thread where someone bought a KTM spark arrestor and added it to their bike:viewtopic.php?t=4497. That looks interesting. I can't seem to find information online about BC's rules for spark arrestors. I'm not sure whether this would be sufficient for tech inspection. Does anyone know if there's any certification requirements for the spark arrestors in BC? E.g. in the US they have to be USFS stamped - but it wouldn't make sense to me for Canada to require the USFS certification.
-Jared
#44b

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Any cheap spark arrestor options?

Post by cedric »

You could probably buy just the screen from PMB or one of the other aftermarket systems and wire it inside the end cap of your stock muffler and it would work, but not sure if it would pass the inspection and/or satisfy the law. As mentioned in the linked thread, that diffuser screen is not really a spark arrestor, and it will choke your exhaust too much anyway.

On the other hand, the PMB endcap is a really nice piece, and the optional turn down insert will tone down the bark of your xcf without taking away much power. It's a good compromise.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

We went with the PMB end cap on special Ks 250xcf to be legal. Much cheaper then buying a whole muffler. What I found kind of crazy is that there already is a screen in the stock end cap. So I guess you’re paying for the stamp saying it’s an approved spark arrester?
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

cedric wrote:You could probably buy just the screen from PMB or one of the other aftermarket systems and wire it inside the end cap of your stock muffler
I was wondering about that. My googling didn't lead me to any conclusive answers about spark arrestor certification in BC. I found one government note about BC adopting the requirements from the federal government's "Marine Spark-Ignition Engine, Vessel and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Emission..." somethingrather. But I skimmed through the Act and Regulations and didn't find any specific rules pertaining to spark arrestors. I even searched Canlii for BC decisions mentioning "spark arrestors" and didn't find anything helpful.

I'm wondering if there just aren't any certification requirements - in which case I would assume putting a spark arrestor screen in the stock exhaust would be sufficient. It's not like there's any magic to it. It's just a screen to stop sparks afterall.
-Jared
#44b

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I did find this: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... 11_38_2005

Section 8 reads:
A person must not operate an engine, other than an engine used in a railway operation,
[...]
(d) the engine is equipped with a safe and effective device for arresting sparks that is an integral part of the exhaust system and in good repair,
(e) the engine is equipped with an exhaust system and muffler that are within the manufacturer's specifications, and
[...]

Haven't found any specific certification requirements yet. That's clearly where the rule comes from though - the penalties match up with what the news releases talked about. No relevant cases citing it yet though.

I also found: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safe ... y-of-fines

Wildfire Regulation violation ticket fines (effective April 1, 2016)
[...] Section 8, Operate engine contrary to regulations: $460
-Jared
#44b

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I found this on the PNWMA website: https://pnwma.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Policy.pdf

Spark Arrestor Policy

The PNWMA mandates that all racers must utilize a spark arrestor on their motorcycle, this
requirement is necessary to comply with Provincial law and to meet the conditions of our
insurance policies. This requirement will be strictly enforced to achieve a level playing field
for competitors and to comply with legal and insurance necessities. The responsibility for
ensuring compliance with this policy lies with the club hosting a PNWMA sanctioned event.
The host club must inspect each motorcycle at the same time as the sound test. Any
competitor found to have removed or disabled a spark arrestor after the inspection will not
be able to race, it should be noted the PNWMA does not refund entry fees after a racer has
been signed up. Listed below are spark arrestors types deemed suitable for competitors in
the PNWMA ORS series.

Acceptable Spark Arrestor Types

 Original equipment manufacturer screen type or turbine type spark arresting exhaust
silencers.
Note: Some OEM silencers have a spark arrestor installed but do not display a USFS
endorsement, these are acceptable as are those with a USFS stamp.
 After market exhaust silencers that are supplied with a spark arresting device and which
display the USFS approval.
 After market and stock exhausts modified utilizing a add-on spark arrestor displaying the
USFS approval. Examples of this type include Pro Moto Billet, Cobra, Fastway, Enduro
Engineering, FMF and others.
-Jared
#44b

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I think the stock screen should be fine based on that information. The way they usually check is the “stick method”
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

There's a screen in there?! I'll have to go have a look after work.
-Jared
#44b

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I've been tested in BC with the "stick method" and my exhaust was fine. 17 450 XCF

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

cerealkiller wrote:There's a screen in there?! I'll have to go have a look after work.
Ya I didn’t realize this either. When I took the stock one off to install the PMB one I noticed there is already a screen in the stock cap, this is on a 2016 250xcf so should be identical to yours.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

You should already have a screen type spark arrestor in your xcf. The muffler is not stamped with the usfs certification. It will pass the stick test. Certification costs money And aren’t these bikes designated closed course competition only. Seems like ktm cares or atleast has the foresight to spend a couple bucks per bike to reduce their liability if a bike is use outside closed course competition :) . Everyone, don’t be a id10t, leave the stock screen alone. When I repacked my xcf muffler at 160hrs it was clean. The after market end caps are adding a useless restriction, so you are really paying $200 for a “USFS Approved” stamp on a xc-f or just some useless bling. If the riding area regs requires the stamp guess thats the cost to play.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I really should have asked here before buying that PMB end cap :( hey Jared, want to buy a spark arresstor end cap? :lol: .....I don’t know how to 4 stroke....
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Just FYI, my older 250 XCF had a straight through exhaust, you could see clear though it, so do your own exploration before you expect to pass a stick test.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I did! Lo and behold, there's a screen in there that looks suspiciously like a spark arrestor. I should have snapped a photo.
-Jared
#44b

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

My 2016 450xcf does not have a screen, empty tube from one end to the other. What options do I have? Some of the costs for a screened cap are out of line.