Clever Lever?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Clever Lever?

Post by bikingagain »

So after an hour on the enduro track with Stephen Foord, I am curious about the Clever Lever. I am hoping to use my clutch a bit more since right now mine is either On or Off. But after the hour, I am hoping to make the pull on the clutch a bit lighter. Is the Clever Lever the answer? Or is adjusting the stock one just as good? I have seen a couple with different bends in them. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

DwayneH
User
User

Re: Clever Lever?

Post by DwayneH »

As far as the clever lever some guys say they're good some guys don't like them much it apparently changes the engagement spot and feel, I haven't used one but I've talked to people who have (not much help I know) if you're looking for a lighter pull that keeps the engagement feel the same the Clake one light clutch gets rave reviews but $$$ though.
Dwayne Howatt
"17 300xcw

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Just buy one. You know you will anyway regardless of what people here say. Have it shipped to Eureka and pick it up when you go down that way.

You're welcome to take my bike out to try the Clake OLC but the Clever Lever might be the better solution for your clutch finger fatigue. I have to think that once you are used to one, the increased travel can only help with modulation.

If you use a Rekluse, the Clake OLC won't work. The spring assist in it fights the Rekluse from idle until the Rekluse RPM is high enough for full engagement. Between those two points it drives you nuts as one overpowers the other.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

After "Reklusing" for a long while, I suffered when I went back to a bike with a regular clutch and an incessant need for clutching (Long Live the 450!). I just kept at it and now do not notice the hand fatigue on a ride.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I used a clever lever on my 2012 350, but haven't bothered putting it on my 2016. It does reduce the pull a little, but it's not a miracle cure.

To get it working properly, you need to have your bike fully warmed up and have the engagement start as soon as the lever moves away from the bar. I found it pretty finicky.

It's also kind've annoying that the bike has to be all the way warmed up every time to be able to drive off without it "clunking" into gear. I used to warm up the bike, then turn it off, pull the clutch in and rock it forward a little to un-stick the clutch plates before firing it back up again and taking off.

If you adjust it so the plates move further apart when you pull the lever against the bars then the lever ends up being a long reach. For me anyway, a long reach was just as tiring as a stiff pull.

Also, before spending the cash on the MME lever, try adjusting the stock perch for the best possible leverage. I.e. I push mine as far towards the center of my bars as the bend allows. Because the tip of the lever is further away from the bars than the pivot, as you move it towards the center the part you touch is further away. Assuming you ride a KTM with the reach adjuster on each lever, you will want to adjust it for less reach. You can only go so far before it too won't fully disengage the clutch. Since your fingers will now grab towards the tip of the lever rather than the pivot, you are increasing your leverage.
-Jared
#44b

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Thanks for the replies. That helps.
2018 KTM 300 xc

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm not familiar with the 2013 200 clutch. Do you have the Brembo or Magura master cylinder? I have a Mountain Engineering "Klever" lever for Brembo that you are welcome to try out if you like.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

dirtyboy wrote:I'm not familiar with the 2013 200 clutch. Do you have the Brembo or Magura master cylinder? I have a Mountain Engineering "Klever" lever for Brembo that you are welcome to try out if you like.

I have to update my profile to 2018 300xc. :banana:
2018 KTM 300 xc

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Well, you are welcome to try my lever but I don't use it because I have adjusted the clutch on the inside. Your manual explains how to do it. Makes the lever really easy to pull and changes the engagement feel as well.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I can't find it in the manual. So sorry. But I found a reference to the adjustment on Chris Birch's FB page. He explains what it does. Just note that the X Y Z are now I II III on the new bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisBirchNZ/p ... 3618052239