2017/18 KTM/Husky Issues

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Regi300
User
User

2017/18 KTM/Husky Issues

Post by Regi300 »

Good Day,

I have a 2018 Husky TX300 that I a trying to get dialed in before rubber tire riding season gets underway. I saw a recent post was created for the TX300, but I did not want to come across as hijacking it so I created this one.

First impressions of the bike thus far are very positive; it’s really an excellent machine. However, there are 2 issues that are getting under my skin.

1. The bottom end power: I have installed a Slaven’s HV Lectron, Vforce reeds and a RK Tek head and I’m still not happy. My stock 2014 300xc was super crisp and very responsive on the bottom end, the husky pulls like a Yamaha WR250 for the first 1/4 throttle in comparison. Has anyone else had this issue with the new KTM/Husky 300 and conquered it? I should mention that I have tried to work this out with metering rod adjustments.

2. The WP AER 48: It’s eons ahead of the 4cs, but it has some characteristics I’m not fond of. The brake dive is excessive and bottoming out is frequent. I am 185lbs w/o gear, run 139 psi and the clickers are in the stock settings, some large log hops will use up 7/8ths of the forks travel, even stoppies will push my fork to the limits of it’s travel. I found this odd since the fork is known for it’s bottoming resistance. I’m almost convinced that my WP pump is not calibrated correctly or something is wrong with my forks. Has anyone had these issues and were able to tune them out with PSI and the clickers.

Thanks.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2017/18 KTM/Husky Issues

Post by 350scott »

I can't speak for the low end issues, but it sure seems something is out of whack with your forks. I've got you covered on the weight front by 40lbs and I usually run between 140-145psi on my 450XC-F and have only bottomed the forks once off road and that was miss timing a creek jump (it was muddy in my defense).
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

You are welcome to come by, or meet up with me at mclean any time and take my bike for a rip. I have a very similar setup to you.

'17 300 with HV Lectron, Vforce reeds, RK head, gnarly pipe. I ordered my RK for 3000' and pump gas just to give myself enough leeway on the knocking end of things. I am really happy with my setup. Lifts the front tire from almost stalling out.

Edit: Two things with the lectron that still really help out. 1 - put the red PV spring in and adjust properly, and 2 - make sure you have richened up the rod from whatever they sent it to you at. They sent it to me at 2.204" or some ungodly lean setting. Bike felt super lackluster there. Richened it up to I believe 2.006" (I think - I would have to double check) and it was just night and day.

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Thanks for the Responses.

Boogle2 - I just might take you up on that offer. I'm going to try the red spring and look a little closer at the PV setting. The thought did occur to me that maybe the Gnarly would give me the low end torque I'm chasing, it worked wonders on my 2014.

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

If I could break down what I thought contributed to my bike running the way I want it:

1. 38mm Lectron: Not great performance
1a. 38mm Lectron with properly tuned metering rod: awesome power, great throttle response, tiniest of burble's at low throttle openings
2. Vforce4 reeds: didn't notice much difference
2a. Red PV spring: instead of signing off after the first twist of the throttle, the bike really came alive through the mid range
3. HV Lectron as delivered: not great performance
3a. HV Lectron with properly tuned metering rod: awesome power, really no difference from the original lectron, still a tiny burble at low throttle openings
4. Gnarly Pipe: got this after I damaged stocker - didn't notice too much difference in low end or high end power. Small bit of low end grunt.
5. RK Tek head: Tons more power everywhere. Cleaned up the low end burble, bike seems really really good after this. Have not extensively tested it on full day rides yet, so I don't know about pinging, but from what I have ridden, I couldn't hear anything.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Not riding the smokers much these days, but hands down the best mod I did was a high comp head. At 3500' here, it really livened it up.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Make sure you are running the standard map, the second map mellows out the power. The white wire under the gas tank should be plugged in for the standard map setting.
Run the red PV spring with the Dolly set one turn in from all the way backed out.
You definitely have something wrong with your forks or pump. The AER forks are hard too bottom and are not divey. I would start with a second pump, if your pump checks out check the oil level in the forks.

Runger
User
User

Post by Runger »

Hello. I'm curious about the RK Tek head. I had a 17 300 with a lectron carb, sx head, v force reeds, FMF gnarly and a Rekluse clutch. After a bad crash in spring I sold it and swore I'd never ride again. I've come to my senses and getting a new bike. I liked a lot about my bike but found the hit was a bit aggressive for a old guy. Wondering what you guys feel the head did for the low end, the hit and over rev. I'm on the fence between and smoothed out 300 or a 350. Thanks for now.

Regi300
User
User

Post by Regi300 »

Runger; i was the original author of this post. I can tell you with the adjustments made to the metering rod and combined with the extra compression of the head, my bike hits like a sledgehammer across the entire rev range. I use an fmf fatty for a smooth low end power and over rev. I have no interest in the gnarly as it would be over kill on my bike.

I think if you wanted to stick with a smoker (te or xcw), i would suggest the Lectron, green spring, soft map setting and stock head. That should give you the smooth power you are looking for. I am not a jetting guru, but i bet you could work the snap the hit out of the mikuni by going rich, but you will never get that linear, electric type power the Lectron provides.

Regarding the 350 - i have no experience on one, i can only imagine they are softer in the bottom and pretty well tempered unless you rev them out...

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

300s have way too much torque for me. I really like the 250 power. I can keep the front wheel on the ground (when I want to) and still run it on the pipe when the situation warrants it.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

dirtyboy wrote:300s have way too much torque for me. I really like the 250 power. I can keep the front wheel on the ground (when I want to) and still run it on the pipe when the situation warrants it.
I agree with Dirtyboy. My previous bike was a 300 2 stroke and I find my new 250XC has plenty of power which is easier to use. No need for RK Heads, Rekluses, or fancy carbs. I just did the JD Jet kit and rode it. I run it with the yellow spring. I am over 200 pounds and find the 250 KTM has NO problem pulling me up the steepest hills with lots of torque.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"