A New Chapter -KTM 690 Set Up

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

A New Chapter -KTM 690 Set Up

Post by AJRJ »

Well I'm not sure what brought on this latest move. Whether it's the recent climate of land use closures and restrictions, the trips to other places where I don't feel like a criminal for riding an off-road motorcycle, or a hole in the garage that needs filling. What I do know is that I was looking for a bike that seemed to offer the utmost flexibility. I originally had a deposit down on the new Honda Africa Twin, and test rode that when it finally came to market. It was a great bike, but in the months of reading I had done waiting for it to come out, I realized that it may not be the bike for me. One of the quotes off of another motorcycle travel focused forum (ADV Rider, check it out if you have a few years to kill, lol) really resonated. It was something along the lines of " One thing about big adventure bikes, is you don't fix them with $100 plastic kits" I really sat back and evaluated what I wanted to do. The ability to ride on road became less of a priority , the more I looked into it. While I love to ride and race on my KTM off road motorcycles, I really kept an open mind when looking at contenders.

Very quickly though I realized there really was only one that had what I was looking for: Enter the KTM 690.
IMG_3121.JPG
This bike, in my evaluation, offers a great blend of truly functional off road, and enough road manners to make it bearable. While KTM 500 EXC s are fantastic bikes, I already run a 450 off-road, and it was too similar to what I had. Other 650 bikes don't compare IMO, and while any bike can be set up to do what you like, I wanted to start as close to my end goal as possible.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: A New Chapter -KTM 690 Set Up

Post by boland »

That’s a sweet ride. Congrats :thumbsup:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

boland wrote:That’s a sweet ride. Congrats :thumbsup:
Thanks!

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

One advantage of buying a bike like this, or any bike really with a strong following, is there is a ton of information out there about set up etc. Unfortunately that can also be a little intimidating, as there is a lot of info that is either not relevant or not really accurate. As we all know, people tend to post a lot more when they're unhappy, vs. the happy people that are just out riding somewhere.

My idea was to post up what I've learned and done to the bike over the winter, since getting it in December. Hopefully someone finds it helpful or interesting. My plan was to not get overly technical, as there are a ton of videos/manufacturers info on the web, a google search away.

I had decided I wanted a 2012-2013 690. Earlier 2008 -2011 bikes had a 654cc engine, with the Enduro having 250 mm travel, and the Enduro R having 275 mm. I wanted the year with the revised bore and stroke to take it to a full 690, with the advantage that the ECU on the 2012/2013 models is "unlocked" and TuneECU or the dealer can easily reflash it. Everything from 2012 forward is an "R" model, as the base Enduro was dropped. All bikes from 12 up do have the lower 250mm travel, with open cartridge forks in 12 & 13.14 and up models have locked ECUs (need a Power Commander V) and ABS (something I didn't really want). I found a low km 2012 and the fun began...

There are few fixes that every 690 should get. A lot of things are subjective or preference, but some common items are:
IMG_3126.JPG
Under the battery tray the wiring can rub against the bottom of the pan. My bike only had 7,300 km, and it was definitely already scuffed. I pulled it out, and taped the bejeezus out of it with electrical tape. At the same time, I undid every connector I could find and greased the connections with dielectric grease.

I also changed the in tank fuel filter. This was super easy and came in a kit complete with clamps, inline filter and pick up screen. Some guys add a second external filter, or even delete the stock filter in place of a Golan or similar. For now I'll keep mine stock, it's convenient for parts etc.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

There are really only two other things IMO that are critical. One is the tank bushings. KTM 690s run a polymer gas tank in place of the subframe (way before Husqvarna lol). All of the load of rider/passenger and luggage is on the 4 bolts that hold it on. There are many reports of failed upper bolts, and along many people running them stock forever. Rider and luggage weight, as well as riding style is obviously a huge factor. If you have or are buying a 690, lift on the grab handles and check for movement or play in the bushings. The most reasonable of the reports I've read relate problems with the upper bolts breaking to worn lower bushings. These bushings have been updated a few times, and mine were definitly pooched on a low mile bike.
Tank Bushing.jpeg
Tank Bushing.jpeg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 12028 times
There are kits to replace the lower bolts/bushings, but I just went with the new updated parts, and it was perfect. I did install a set of Rally Raid upper tank bolts, that are supposed to be stronger, due to a change in the style of their construction.
RR Tank Bolts.jpg
The last must do would be the gas tank vent; Stock routing was abysmal as it was pinched by the seat and airbox/frame. There is a lot of talk on-line of pumps failing prematurely. The load due to kinked lines in the tank or the blocked vent (stock goes to charcoal canister) that IMO could be a factor in overworking the pump. I've done a Canisterectomy and SAS delete, so I used some that hose to extend the vent to a position by the shock you might see on an off road bike. I'm still fine tuning the routing, and will try to get a picture of that when I'm happy.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Cool write up.
Good info for the desired years.

Soon, you will be writing about good vs bad tires. ha.
My preference is the Kenda Washougal (DOT) front and the Moto Z Tractionator Dessert HT (DOT) Rear
Offroad, the best combo. Onroad, they work and hold well. Wear on them is exceptional. I have tried many combos on the big brother to the 690 and this is the only combo i will run. I actually ran the Washougal on my 450 for some races, i liked it.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Spinalguy wrote:Cool write up.
Good info for the desired years.

Soon, you will be writing about good vs bad tires. ha.
My preference is the Kenda Washougal (DOT) front and the Moto Z Tractionator Dessert HT (DOT) Rear
Offroad, the best combo. Onroad, they work and hold well. Wear on them is exceptional. I have tried many combos on the big brother to the 690 and this is the only combo i will run. I actually ran the Washougal on my 450 for some races, i liked it.
Thanks Tom.

I appreciate the tire info. I have used Kenda Millville a bit and always really liked them. I will get to the tires, as I've gone in a different direction in regards to tubes :D

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I can imagine the reasons as to why this bike may not be the perfect fit for everyone. The bike is good stock, but to make it great, there are quite a few things that can be done.

Obviously any bike used for off road needs to have guards. I was lucky that this bike came with some good add ons already on it;
IMG_3114.JPG

The Scorpion skid plate was nice, as well as a KTM Powerparts radiator guard. These bikes have curved radiators that are not cheap, and the guards are a good idea to prevent damage.

I took off the Acerbis full wrap hand guards that came on the bike, I've never been a fan, they're soft and personally I don't care for the styling. I installed a set of Enduro Engineering full wraps, with some new plastic flags on them.
IMG_3115.JPG

The bike also got some fold away Acerbis mirrors. They work ok at best, but on the highway are virtually useless. I will upgrade them to something like these: https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

The mods to these bikes are near endless, and it's been a blast helping it evolve into something that really is multi purpose. For the next steps, I used these:
Resistor.jpg
Resistor.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
To make some of these:
SAS dongle.jpg
SAS dongle.jpg (3.7 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
Those are 2.2k ohm 1/4 W resistors, and they allow you to delete the charcoal canister and the SAS module. The resistors were combined with some crimp on terminals to plug into the two plugs, and avoid the dreaded Fuel Injection warning light. I used some 1/4" and 1/2" rubber vacuum plugs to plug the unused ports, and combined the existing hoses to vent the tank conventionally by the rear shock.
IMG_3118.JPG
While i was deleting things, the sidestand switch was removed using a hardparts dongle 613.11.946.044.

Otherwise the sidestand can swing down and ruin your day in a set of whoops, lol.
Attachments
Sidestand Dongle.jpg
Sidestand Dongle.jpg (3.66 KiB) Viewed 11751 times

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Is the sidestand switch more sophisticated than a simple on/off switch? What does that dongle do for you beyond a simple splice?

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

cedric wrote:Is the sidestand switch more sophisticated than a simple on/off switch? What does that dongle do for you beyond a simple splice?
Short answer is yes. The circuit expects a certain amount of resistance,. I do believe that the same 2.2k ohm 1/4 W resistors work, although for this one I thought the plug was easier.

Google tells me that you can cap the blue, and put the resistor between the black and pink. On the SAS there aren't plugs that fit perfectly, so I built my own, but for this one it was nice to have the dongle to just plug into the factory harness. Cycleworks Calgary was great with the parts needed for this bike.

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

AJRJ wrote: Otherwise the sidestand can swing down and ruin your day in a set of whoops, lol.
Or the switch gets smashed by a passing rock and leaves you stranded with a no start. Been there, done that :thumbsdown:

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

At the Club Night tonight, I overheard a couple guys talking about dual-sports, Moab and Lockhart Basin. Was that you?

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Yes, I was a part of that conversation. Although I haven't brought the bike to Moab, yet :cheers:

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

Lockhart is a great ride on DS/ADV bikes. I've done it 3 times on a fat girl, it's my favorite trail. Challenging spots but a ton of fun. North to South is definitely the spicier direction. Obviously it'd be easier (and more appropriate) on your 690.