A New Chapter -KTM 690 Set Up

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: A New Chapter -KTM 690 Set Up

Post by AJRJ »

NineOh wrote:Lockhart is a great ride on DS/ADV bikes. I've done it 3 times on a fat girl, it's my favorite trail. Challenging spots but a ton of fun. North to South is definitely the spicier direction. Obviously it'd be easier (and more appropriate) on your 690.

:thumbsup:

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Probably the best part f this bike is that it's legal. Unfortunately some of the things used to make it that way, well, kind of suck. It's a great bike, but sure not from the back!
690 Stock Tail.PNG
690 Stock Tail.PNG (197.63 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
I spent some time hunting around on the web for some part numbers, then went to my friendly Calgary Cycleworks. The Euro 690 has a different tailpiece, and uses the taillight from the XCW bikes, it's LED and plenty bright.
IMG_3117.JPG
Some E-bay flush mount LED turn signals were drilled and installed into the sides, and I fashioned up a plate holder. The end result is much cleaner, WAY less prone to damage, and the plate acts as a mud guard to keep me clean :smirk: It's actually the same way I do it on my XCF...

While I had the Bike apart, I added a Perun moto rack. This thing was on my doorstep from the other side of the world in 7 days. The fit, finish and customer service were second to none. Check it out if you ride any of the common ADV models. https://www.perunmoto.com/
IMG_3111.JPG
And while I was at it (notice a pattern?) a CJ Designs gas cap was thrown in too. The stack cap is good quality but it's keyed, and is set up in such a way that dirt kind of pools in the low area, and can get into the tank when opened. https://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
cj_15_bil_fue_fil_nec_kit-blk.jpg
cj_15_bil_fue_fil_nec_kit-blk.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 10053 times

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

One of the last things to do before putting some miles on was the gearing, and I'll admit, I didn't even try it with the stock 15/45 set up. I knew from the research I did and also setting up my 450 that the stock gearing is pretty tall in 1st. The primary focus is exploring, singletrack, and some gravel roads, so on-highway cruising took a back seat to on-trail performance.
IMG_3123.JPG

I settled on 15/50, with the KTM Powerparts chain and a TM Design Chain Guide. This set up is the same I've used on a few bikes now, and the quality of the Z ring chain and sprockets are top notch. The TMD chain guides are bulletproof, and sharp looking too.

Another option for lower gearing is to run the stock chain and 45 t rear sprocket, and drop the countershaft sprocket to a 14 t for off-road use. I was changing the chain out any way, and like the larger sprockets for their wear characteristics. I did want to be able to have the ability to adjust gearing easily though, in case any longer trips are on the horizon. The stock CS guard is a mud collector, and designed to limit chain noise, and prevent shoe laces from being sucked in. I trimmed mine out to make it easier to clean, and be able to reverse the axle blocks and run a 17t front sprocket for near stock gearing.
IMG_3122.JPG
Just as a note, I only ever run rivet in master links. I'm a big fan of the reliability they offer. The KTM chain does come with both rivet and circlip styles in the box, so you can choose. I used the rivet style on the bike, and will carry the master clip and a small press in the (unlikely) event I need a spare.

I'm very happy with the gearing overall, it cruises happily at 110 km/h, even 120 km/h. I find that is the limit of my comfort for on-highway speeds, and more than enough for the highways around these parts. The low gear saves tons of clutch abuse and makes picking up the front end at low speeds much easier. Next will be the hunt for traction...

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

There certainly is a lot of trade-offs with dual sports when it comes to traction. If you're used to your worn out bib mousse or 10 # in a tube, your in for a surprise at 25 pounds in a DOT tire, as I found out. I did a lot of research on this issue with the 690, and settled on this:
Tubliss.jpg
Tubliss.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
Before I get into the "why's", I should note that Tubliss are not DOT rated, and specifically state not for road use! Do your own research, make your own calls.

I settled on the fact that a flat is a flat, stock or not. Almost all of the time a carcass flat on a Tubliss still gives you at least a 360 degree rim lock, if not the single mechanical rim lock that is part of the Tubliss design; Way better than stock: a tube, and no rim locks. One other thing to mention, the Tubliss specs are for rear rims up to 2.15 inches. The rear rim on a 690 is 2.5 inches. Does it still work? Yes. Will it work with every tire? No. You need to have tires that have a thicker cross sectional area on the bead area. Tires like D606, MT21 are working, and really, I'm primarily concerned with off road traction. The other nice thing about Tubliss, is you can always just run a tube, rimlock, and whatever tire you want. Other than reaming out one hole on your rim slightly larger, there are no effects on the bike.

The ride report with this is that I'm very happy. The inner bladder and tire stay up with pressure for months, the ability to fix with a plug kit is priceless (although no opportunity to test this in the field yet), and the ability to run lower pressure with no pinch flats is awesome! I'd say tire install is slightly easier, although messier as I use the tire sealant (Slime) method.

While the rear wheel was off I installed one of these:
BPD.jpg
BPD.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
IMG_3113.JPG
I have to say it's the most solid shark fin I've ever seen. Has to be half an inch thick in some areas, all machined billet. A very nice piece. I have to give a shout out to Cycle Works Calgary for being patient during all my parts sourcing. Great people, and a huge help with these add-ons!

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I have to say, riding this bike has been a blast. With the mods almost done, it was time for some luggage. I settled on the Wolfman E-12 for a couple reasons. They're the size I need for adventuring/maybe 1-2 nights, and they're soft bags which is important for off-roading. They open almost fully with huge zippers, and have a built in cinch strap to take the flap out of half-full bags.
IMG_3383.JPG
S0512_E12_Enduro_Saddle_Bags_a_530x.jpg
For storing things inside, it's a good idea to use some dry bags, as no soft luggage option is truly waterproof. Inside one side I have a toolkit, in a dry bag, in the other some emergency stuff, also in a dry bag. I originally bought some 10l heavy PVC ones, they were a little bulky. I replaced them with some bonded cloth/plastic 12l ones that were much thinner. They also have a one way valve that allows the air to be purged, which works excellent.
Dry Bag.jpg
This set up doesn't move at all on the bike, tied it the Perun rack and heel guards shown earlier. The effectiveness was tested with a botched boggy creek crossing that had one side completely under the water, and everything inside was obviously tinder dry.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

For some of the adventures on this bike the limiting factor isn't so much the weight but the DOT tires. The front strangely seems really well planted , on a tire I can almost surely say wouldn't work on my 450. Again, I assume the weight of the bike , and how it's carried must be a factor. For the last big ride of the year out in Radium, I decided to go down to Cycle Works Calgary, and pick up what I feel is one of the best big bike rear tires that's for sale; Enter the Mitas XT 754. Full beast mode...
IMG_3591.JPG
At the same time, I installed a Rally RaId UK Adapter that allows the fitment of the KTM 690 Rally Air filter.
IMG_3595.PNG
I already had the KTM Power Parts foam air filter in it, But, was not a fan of a) cleaning it, and b) the sealing flange leaves something to be desired. I used the handy mans other secret weapon:
IMG_3596.JPG
To attache the new plate to the airbox. End result makes me happy. No louder than the Power Parts airbox lid, and spare filters are cheap and easy to clean/change.
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Now for some pics of the fun...

This bike flat out rules for the versatility it offers. I have railed single track with it, and blasted down highways. I honestly would be hard pressed to name a spot I wouldn't take it, although it is nowhere near as easy or fast to ride in the gnar.

Crossing Snowdrifts in the Jumbo Pass area in June:
1293 (2).JPG
Exploring muddy single track:
1295 (2).JPG
Awesome Two-track spots:
1240 (2).JPG
011 (2).JPG
012.JPG
Waterfalls:
016.JPG
1285 (2).JPG
And the top of Steamboat Mountain Singletrack (epic day, one of the best ever)
003.JPG
008.JPG
Thanks to Cycle Works Calgary and and my friends for making this an excellent season, of new rides and new places. Bring on 2019!!!

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Do you have the ability to incorporate the counter balancers from the revised engines? I imagine that would help a lot with highway comfort and vibration.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Rider Eh! wrote:Do you have the ability to incorporate the counter balancers from the revised engines? I imagine that would help a lot with highway comfort and vibration.
The new head from the 16 + Duke & 17 + Husqvarna 701 (and 2019 KTM 690 BTW) is not really doable from what I understand. The new style goes for more bore and a reduced stroke. There are guys out there building sweet 732 cc 85+HP singles by combining the longer stroke of the 2012 plus engine with the cylinder from the new style. I don't believe they use the twin balanced head though. The new cylinder uses a different dowel pattern, but nothing some machining wont fix.

Honestly, this thing is smooth I find. Not BMW K1600 smooth, but zero issues with numbness or tingling through the bars, even on long days. And that's from a guy that used PHDS dampers on every bike I've owned since 2010.

Let me know if you want to try it out next year.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Good report, keep em coming. How did the Mitas tire hold up?

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

malcolmzilla wrote:Good report, keep em coming. How did the Mitas tire hold up?
It looks really good so far, although I only put about 250 km on it. I have low expectations for wear, and am usually pretty hard on the rear tire :smirk:

I wore out an MT21 in 1200 km, so if I get even 800 from this I'm happy. It looks like it'll be much more though. One of the reasons I chose the Tubliss was to get the max life/traction from the rear...

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

You got Trellies on that thing yet???
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Been a while since I made a post here, probably due for an update. The bike performed well all year, and it was a blast getting out on it.

KTM dry bag helped with the camping setup, I put some effort in to keep the gear minimal and small.
631.JPG
That led to a lot of fun...
639.JPG
A month later it was a lot drier:
657.JPG
I don't know if it's IPhone issues or what but the photos don't seem to come out vertical, even after I edit.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

The Rally air filter setup up from Rally Raid UK works excellent.
791.JPG
I also upgraded to a Wings muffler from my eBay Akro knock off. I think My riding buddies ears were the big winner here.
813.JPG
That picture also has a recycled canvas bag with a recycled Tim Hortons "Take 12" coffee bladder with about a gallon of gas in it. Gas has been a been a bit of an issue when we've been up to the Bighorn. I can do ~300km on a tank when I baby it, but that'll drop to the low 200's when I'm on the gas or the riding is more technical. I've been carrying about 8 litres of extra fuel, 4 in the pannier, and 4 in the bag, which can get almost 500 km on the bike. That combined with a gas stash off the trunk road allowed a 700 km trip. Absolute blast...
902.JPG

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Wow nice, mind sharing the trip GPS on that last photo?

Happy to swap some of my own GPS routes with you! :cheers: