Radiator Repair

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Radiator Repair

Post by dirtyboy »

Well, I crashed and made my radiator look like a Pringles chip.

I called up Ron Lembicz at Tops Radiator - 276-5552 and asked him if I brought in the leaking radiator early this morning, if he could have it repaired by the end of the day. Dropped it off at 9:00am. I had taken the twist out of it and now it was diamond shaped and leaking. He asked if I wanted him to straighten it too. YES YES....

I called at 3:00pm and asked if it was ready. He cussed at me, something about one more little leak but come over and it'd be done. He cussed at me some more when I arrived telling me that next time don't mess with the radiator before bringing it to him. Apparently it leaked on all 4 corners. His welding isn't the best to look at, but he pressure tests everything. He cussed some more and told me the price. I cussed a bit and told him about not being able to ride his dirt bike back in Waiparous next year so he could bag a buck. I guess he liked the cussing because when he rang my credit card, the bill was $20 less than he said it would be just 10 minutes earlier.

Now the radiator is straight and went back on the bike perfectly. I fired up the bike and ran it in the garage until the engine was heating something fierce. No leaks. :banana: :banana:

This is the second time that he has repaired my radiator and it has been leak free the 1st time. That is the main thing, no leaks. :D

I used to take my rad to Guyon Racing and the guy did excellent looking welds, good work and was really cheap. I guess that's why they went out of business.?

Anyone else have a rad repair shop in Calgary that is better than this?

I always feel really helpless when I break a rad since I can not fix it myself and I'm at the mercy of the local rad shop. :excuse:

By the way, if anyone uses him, tell him you heard about here. I was working on getting him to advertise on this board. :thumbsup: I think he might. Dennis, this is a lead. :D

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Rad guards didn't help? Are you going out on Sat. to W.Sharpless? How is it for camping, I wonder? I should be out sometime on Sat. Just put new rubber on, front (Maxxis SI) and back (Maxxis IT). The bike is almost ready to go and I got the green light from the wife to race! :banana:
Claude

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I had the Flatlands Rad guards and the WorksConnection Rad braces fitted up. I guess when you go down running pretty fast in 3 gear and the only part of the bike that hits the ground is the radiator, something has to give. Without the rad guards, I bet that I wouldn't have ridden out without a leak.

The WorksConnection braces folded like paper. I did not put them back on.